How to approach a practice session

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:03 am
by ICanOnlyCarry50ChickensAtATime • 14 Posts

Hi folks,
I''ve studien Pebbers daily practice routine and i wonder how am I supposed to approach it? Sonce there are a lot of excercises in each module, is it more efficient to practice a lot of different excercises each day for, let's say 10min each or should I only pick one or two of them and practice them for a longer period?

Thanks in advance!

Scroll up

RE: How to approach a practice session

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:34 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Have you even watched PB's videos???

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:21 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

picking and left hand for a year first. You want to get good thats what it takes.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 am

Ok I see.. Thats what i actually did most of the time.

And one more question: Are there suggested fingerings for the scale sequence patterns such as fourths and fifths? Or do you recommend to figure them out on your own?
Thanks..

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:43 pm

Pos I - Gmajor, 4ths:
(65) 11, 22, 44
(54) 11, 23, 44
(43) 11, 33, 44
(32) 12, 34, 4 (1)-1
(21) 22, 44

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks again, I think I'll manage to figure out the fingerings for the other patterns on my own.
And one more question: Do you recommend using the rolling technique or finger every note separately? Probably practice both? I've heard quite a few different statements.
I really appreciate all the answers!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Every musical idea requires a different touch and technique. Learn it ALL.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:49 am
by Jonny Funk • 8 Posts

I have about 5-7 hours to practice a day, broken up into pieces. I can do 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon and then I can do a 3-5 hour block after 10 pm (I work and have a 3 year old son). How would you practice the right and left hand exercises in that time frame Pebber?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 pm

The daily practice routine is divided into 7 modules to create good technique and also a well rounded sense of accomplished musicianship.
Each module can be addressed with the same increment of time. If you have 7 hours to practice then 7 modules fits neatly as 1 hour each.
if you have 5 hours then practice in each module approx 43 minutes each. If you have 3 hrs a day (solid hours no distractions) then each module for approx 26 minutes each. This way you wont skip out on any ONE particular aspect of musicianship. Many people and i mean MANY people cannot get to module 7 because their hands are so weak and nearly on the cripple level that they need to just spend their full amount iof practice time on module 1 and 2 period for a YEAR or MORE before their hands start functioning with full strength for the guitar or Bass.
I have some students who do TRILL exercises for 3 hours a day alone. THEY have strong hands.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:40 am
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

i remember the first months of pebbers routine: i would spend 6 hours a day just doing the open strings excercises..
1 string at a time and then all 6 strings. There were weekends were ( i kid you not) i would do 8 hours of only those 2 open strings excercises.Only after around 10 weeks, i started integrating other exercises, at the beginning it was frustrating beginning, but then it just becomes a part of you and you internalize it as a habit.

Im faaaar faaar away from being the guitarrist i want to be but the advice everyone overlooks imo is: Dont compare yourself to all the other dudes at first.. Most dudes are flapping their hands around and showing off their usually bad technique.. you will learn to recognize it sooner than what you think, think mostly about what matters to you and what you want to achieve.
I however compare myself to likes of Vais, Satrianis, Petrucis, Becks, Holdsworths... i always come to the conclusion that i totally suck and i spend more time practicing.

Remember most untrained people dont understand that you are actually practicing, but i friggin grant you it will be worth every hassle.. it was somtimes discouraging to see others being able to show what they have learned and feel that "all you are good at is picking"while everyone else is already a rockstat, but keep at it! Most people learn their typical bob marley and ac/dc chords and then the curve of learning suddenly stops, however your curve of learning will have sudden increases that you wont believe, it starts slowly but it gros exponentially the more you work at it the less friction you encounter :)

Do this experiment: Do not play a song you want to learn or are learning for a month and keep doing pebbers rutine..
then after a month play it again, if you have been practicing every day, you will not recognize your hands or yourself for a few moments ;) If you stick to your routine you will notice that you are actually already surpassing guitarrist who have been playing longer than you,words like talent and luck will acquire a new meaning.

Remember:
if you get good at one thing and move on, on the long run it gets easier, especially the more you advance..
if you move on without mastering everything or anything it is actually easy at first and up to a certain level, but on the long run you will have to come back and rework a lot of stuff, especially when you reach more advanced stuff and decide you want to step to a higer level..

Last edited Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:05 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:45 am
by Jonny Funk • 8 Posts

I've been playing bass for about 12 years and when I started I always used a strict 4 finger fretting hand thankfully. I only did 1-2-3-4 chromatics for 6+ hours a day with every thinkable permutation and skipping strings so I do know how to concentrate and work on something. I have however never done anything like Pebbers Ladder & Spider techniques so I'm salivating.

I switched from bass to guitar because of a torn labrum. The 6 string bass was just too heavy and I lost a lot of dexterity that I'm building back everyday. I'm so glad I found this site. I've been just working on module 1 & 2. I know my modes, quite a few chords/arpeggios [maj, min, dim, aug, 7th, 9th, 13th, sus2, sus4 not all inversion tho!], scales [everything in chords, harm. min., nat. min., hungarian etc] but Pebbers memorization exercises have really got me excited as well.

I'm totally committed and ready to do this. Im not a beginner by no means by I'm not budging from 1-2 modules until they're mastered.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:59 am

If you want to be as good as Steve Vai, then you have to do what Steve Vai does. TITAN level practicing is not for morons who think they are going to be rock stars. Its for people who want to master their instrument on that level. Nothing less.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:04 pm
by Jonny Funk • 8 Posts

Fuck all the bullshit. Play guitar.

uAxe Cast:
G&L ASAT ; MFD Pickups, Birdseye Maple Neck
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS; Locking sperzels, LSD Nut, Tremel-no (soon)
G&L Legacy Tribute

My dad's guitars (which I use :])
1977 Morris Acoustic
VOS 1958 Goldtop Les Paul
Gibson SG

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:05 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Titan level practicing dude! Vai practiced 12 hours a day back in a day. This kinda period forces you to go beyond exercises, licks etc. It opens your creativity. I remember what Vai once said... something like: "look at music as an art, and you'll be great musician. "

Vinnie Moore once said he got fed up with exercises after awhile, and that he wanted to go further to really express himself...

Carl Verheyen said he never practiced any exercise that he wouldn't play live, Rusty Cooley also...

Reb Beach(that guy from Winger, now from Whitesnake) claims that he know 4 scales only, and he claims he developed his playing while smoking a bow and screwing around with some techniques.

And Shawn Lane... I can't help myself but notice that some of his outside playing was based on pure warmup/technique development exercises.

So, there's no rules obviously, except it's just you, and your guitar, and decision you make how much time you will involve your balls to develop yourself, being it as warmup artist, creativity master, or both.

Titan level practice is a must. Rock stars wannabes should shave their head supporting Britney Spears and do just like she does, go playback.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
172 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 107) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly