Expert Performance and Deliberate Practice

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:52 pm
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

http://www.psy.fsu.edu/faculty/ericsson/...n.exp.perf.html

Zitat
Most individuals who start as active professionals or as beginners in a domain change their behavior and increase their performance for a limited time until they reach an acceptable level. Beyond this point, however, further improvements appear to be unpredictable and the number of years of work and leisure experience in a domain is a poor predictor of attained performance (Ericsson & Lehmann, 1996). Hence, continued improvements (changes) in achievement are not automatic consequences of more experience and in those domains where performance consistently increases aspiring experts seek out particular kinds of experience, that is deliberate practice (Ericsson, Krampe & Tesch-Römer, 1993)--activities designed, typically by a teacher, for the sole purpose of effectively improving specific aspects of an individual's performance. For example, the critical difference between expert musicians differing in the level of attained solo performance concerned the amounts of time they had spent in solitary practice during their music development, which totaled around 10,000 hours by age 20 for the best experts, around 5,000 hours for the least accomplished expert musicians and only 2,000 hours for serious amateur pianists. More generally, the accumulated amount of deliberate practice is closely related to the attained level of performance of many types of experts, such as musicians (Ericsson et al., 1993; Sloboda, et al., 1996), chessplayers (Charness, Krampe & Mayr, 1996) and athletes (Starkes et al., 1996).

Man why did i discover my passion so late... I cant wait to get my first 10.000 hours I am literally counting the hours.

It is quite an interesting concept and i think Pebber and all the Guitar Gods must be at around 100.000 hours..

Last edited Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:56 pm | Scroll up

RE: Expert Performance and Deliberate Practice

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:36 pm
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

It is an interesting study. It puts a grounding on success, you really need to concentrate on something if you want to excel. That is why intermediate guitarists shouldn't be disheartened when they hit a roadblock. They have already come so very far and if they concentrate like they have been for years on guitar, then the success will come.

I couldn't tell you how many hours I have done, I just know its not nearly enough. After playing for a year I did start writing it all down on a big chart, trying to reach the elusive ten thousand hours in a year or two (... EXTREMELY HARD). I recommend using a practice log, but don't get caught up in counting the hours, minutes and seconds of your day.

I saw a comedian last night...30 seconds after his show ended he was out front near the merch stand signing autographs. I was one of the first out the door and he was already there for his fans. He did about 90 minutes on stage and would have been very drained, but he knows that time is valuable and he can get alot from it.

If you don't mind reading, look up a book called 'outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell. He uses a number of examples: the beatles, bill gates, apple etc...it is revealed that they all worked ALOT. Talent is overrated.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:05 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Outliers by Malcomb Gladwell? Interesting.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:39 pm
by suhasini • 2 Posts

2 RE: Expert Performance and Deliberate Practice in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS

google

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
461 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly