Classical form newie question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:58 pm
by acosta_rodrigo • 13 Posts

Hi people, I'm new to PB lessons, and I have a doubt regarding the way to play consecutives notes on the same string going up the board, and by going up I mean playing lower pitch notes.

I'm ok with the all the exercise on the chromatic scale, I can go up (by putting all 4 fingers at the same time and lifting them as I play the note) and down by leaving the fingers in the same position as I play the notes.

But does it always have to be played that way? I need years of practice but I think I may be slower playing it this way for example while practicing other scales or soloing. And I don't see Mr Brown doing it always this way either.

So the question is, to play 4 consecutives notes going up on the thread by not doing it like in the Chromatic Scale #1 excersice is wrong?
I hope I maid my self clear.

Scroll up

RE: Classical form newie question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:02 am
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

I am a little confused by your question, are you asking whether you should always play guitar the way you practice? If so, then the chromatic scale has many uses (Pebber posted a video recently demonstrating how it can be integrated into music and soloing) but it is also a fantastic way to improve general technique.

It is important that you practice it extensively, it will feel awkward for a while but you will be able to play better in the long run, and faster as well. So if you are a learning a song, scale, solo etc then you should use the same technique. You will not always need to do this for everything you do, I play alot of rock music and find myself omitting the pinky finger for bending strings quite often, so it is not necessarily wrong to stray from using 4 fingers. But I still can use the pinky to bend, and I do use classical form as much as possible when I play guitar because it is the basis for everything I can play on guitar. Remember, you have 4 fingers and a thumb on your left/right hand, you want to train them all equally.

Four fingers, 1 finger per fret, tips of the fingers on the fretboard with a flat wrist. It may feel uncomfortable but you should not be in pain, and at first you will be slower but speed will come in time. Practice this so that it becomes part of your playing as it is the very bedrock of your technique and it will allow you to play different types of music, you will not be a limited guitar playing in this sense.

Sorry if this does not answer your question, someone else should post soon enough.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:11 am
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

I think you mean if you should always leave other fingers on the fretboard when lifting off.

When you are playing the Chromatic Scale Excercises 4,3,2,1. Yes. Pebber was very specific on his videos, telling us not to be retards and not to lift the middle finger when lifting up the pinky.

However if you are crossing stringswith the gain turned up you should unfret immediately after moving to another note, (unless you want them both to sound) otherwise you will sound really dirty.. (keep them really relaxed, curved and close to the fretboard though) the same applies to scale.

Hope that was your question..

Last edited Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:18 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:49 pm

thanks to both.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:00 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

You practice chromatic scales with the GAIN turned WAY UP???? Yeah why not huh? OK well heres the deal guys - when you are practicing, you are TRAINING your fingers to move more economically and with more accuracy and better timing. This is whyyou need to be very strict in deliberate practicing - so your technique will develop and exceed the demands put on it by the music. There are thousands and thousands of guys I have taught over the past 3 decades that have the same lazy attitude about developing their technique. Where are they now? NOWHERE because they couldnt discipline themselves to correct the SUCK. SO now you are asking is it ok to practice SUCK? I mean I dont always see Pebber Brown doing waht he says. Yeah go ahead and practice SUCK. Your results will be SUCK. In ten years your level of SUCK will be frustrating gigantic and huge so much so that you will be inducted into the Worldwide HALL OF SUCK.
So get with the program - force yourselves to discipline proper technique while you practice. IF you are in a band and improvising - well then its perfectly acceptable to just use whatever technique you have already mastered - but the really good guys know how to free their minds of worrying about technique while they are soloing while simultaneously THINKING about their technique and form at the same time. For most people they cant do that yet so just play what you know and let the music flow out of you while you are soloing - but for practicing you must at all times correct the SUCK.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:40 pm

I practice it both ways with and without gain..
pardon my noobinesh but is there something wrong in practicing it with high gain to work on muting?

Last edited Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:05 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks Pebber, I totally agree of a good technique by practicing the way it must be practice, which is what I try to do on every day.

My doubt was for example, If I also have to use the same technique for if a practice the pentatonic scale. When I move from string 1 to string 2, before I pick on the 2dn string, do I have to wait to have both 1st and 4th fingers placed on the threads, or do I do it like in the ladder excercises and pick them as I place my finger on the threads?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Why dont you learn both ways? Also why dont you try to do it Flamenco style and BARRE the index finger across ALL SIX strings and then play the pentatonic scale? Nobody practices it that way except advanced Flamenco Players.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:21 pm

Chromatic scale high gain? I guess I am just too old. When I think of the chromatic scale I am used to it being applied to more colorful chords like a G7b9 or an Amaj13+11 - not power chords. Do whatever you want more power to you.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:03 pm

Roger that,
Thanks.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
258 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly