Two Note Patterns, "THAT" And The Trill

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 27, 2010 3:37 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

I had been working on two note per string shapes in an effort to mimic the Indian Modes. I had derived the "THAT" from an Indian Classical Music book I had found at a library. Of course the darn book was written in another language...but...heck it had the definitions in it and gave me the chance to derive them. You can find them in english on the web. One thing I noticed was the overlap of definitions we already knew! Derived from the standard Minor Pentatonic scale. The rest I believe can be "overlapped/derived" from other definitions we know....Melodic Minor...Harmonic Minor...and our Modal Pentatonics as well. One can use a drop note method to derive a pentatonic(omit 2 notes from a 7 tone scale) Where and how they came from...Pebber would know.

Any ways....being highly interested in the slippery playing style of the sarod players I began to experiment with sequences of these patterns in terms of drop note pentatonics and the Major scale...omitting two notes creating a pentatonic scale(a way to derive the Modal Pentatonic patterns---somewhat). I came up with a technique/term---"Outside/Inside" patterns. This can be seen on a vid I have...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCrookedFi...u/3/c-j-wGDooPw

I quickly noticed what this was doing to my left hand. It has the same effect as the trill! Since it is basically two notes moving back and forth....but...it gave me an edge because it allowed me to access a random pattern with this technique...of course I will have to make a vid explaining the whole technique. But take a look at the vid I have now....it is a nut shell of the idea.

Last edited Thu May 27, 2010 3:50 pm | Scroll up

RE: Two Note Patterns, "THAT" And The Trill

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 27, 2010 3:51 pm
by Adam (deleted)

I keep repeating this vid,,,,and I am getting lost at the 40sec. mark! Arrrrg! I am making it too hard, I think.

Leave it to FraKh to make the impossible LOOK easy!

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS
-Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 28, 2010 9:58 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Any thoughts on Indian Modes??

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 2:26 pm
by Adam (deleted)

I am absolutely fascinated by the exotic beauty and complexity of some of these patterns! I ALWAYS would incorporate an "exotic" scale/feel when soloing, when I wasn't in "The Box." I would go for this particular feel in one of two ways: Either by a scale (harmonic minor, for example)...OR, by using a "drone" (using an open string, usually Low E & A, while simultaneously playing octaves again, in a pattern similar to harmonic minor).

Now, while using these techniques, I'll give it that "Indian" Vibe by using things like bending 1/4 of a pitch, vibrato and glissando.

FraKh, I would LOVE it if you could provide the TAB for that piece you mention in your 1st post in this Thread! I feel like a MORON for asking, but I just keep getting stumped around the 40sec. mark!

THANKS!!!!

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS--Pebber Brown
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 4:23 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

noo...prob.....

makingk a vid right now!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 4:57 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 5:21 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

I watched that vid Frakh...killer idea,,,sounds VERY cool

STFU! - Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 5:50 pm
by Adam (deleted)

I am watching/re-watching! Got the Neck Diagrams out! LOL!! The Title? "FraKh Patterns!"

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 7:20 pm
by Adam (deleted)

The following is what I TRIED to put on ScrewTube:

OK,,,FINALLY got through it (took about an hour...kept rewinding, watching, charting, playing along, backtracking, double0checking, more charting...), and THAT was just the first scale! I've "cracked the code," and can simply apply this to some of my favorite scales! AWESOME!
You know it's funny: I gotta play for HOURS before my fingers get to what you call, "tight." Unreal!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 7:25 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

AAhhh...goodt!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 8:33 pm
by Adam (deleted)

I cannot find where I wrote this, but here was another idea I had regarding these runs. I LOVE changing the feel of them, by simply changing which notes get the accents.

If you divide your pattern into 8 note runs, you can spice it up it various ways: 8 straight notes (accent on the 1st note, or every note equally) or 4-4, 5-3, 6-2 (accenting the first note of each sub-group)!

Shawn Lane and Eric Johnson are big on this, often taking a 10-note run and dividing it (by accents) 4-6 or 6-4!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 9:02 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

AAhhh goodt!
This would also bring us to the exercise of Shawns...playing 9s!
But this would be 3 note per string patterns...but again...apply the idea to the patterns!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 9:04 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

I too have been trying to leave a comment...and zip! Wont let me...screwtube!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 12:49 am
by Adam (deleted)

OK, going back a couple of posts, you had asked for any thoughts on Indian Modes, and I responded that for years, I primarily used a formula "Exotic Scale" along with "The Box" (pentatonic minor/blues scales). I did so in order to get an Indian or Middle Eastern type of vibe.

For a more Indian vibe, a "drone" works wonders (usually an open E or A string played simultaneously with exotic scale), but here, I have an example of what I was talking about, regarding my old "Formula" (which still works, but Pebber has COMPLETELY opened my eyes to an entirely new World of this type of expression). This is from October 2009, and although it gets my point across, I have certainly progressed from where I was a mere 8 months ago!:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 7:12 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Very gooDt!

I love it....very mystical!

I love the drone too...hurdy gurdy...I think is an instrument for that sound. I guess we can pick up the bag pipes too...lol!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 7:19 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

I think its cool how we come up with our own formulas! Its like....everyone is working on the same problem from different viewpoints. Its exciting to see the different answers to the problem!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 31, 2010 1:52 pm
by daniele • 12 Posts

Hello plps I'm new here and this is my first post.I m following Pebber from 7 months now and finally signed for this forum:I ve seen Ur video and Ive found it very interesting:Ive benn working on it all the day and finally i got the fingering U use on the first simmetric scale on video.But I can t actually apply this tecnique to all my other patterns and scales.I would relly appreciate If U can explain me how to apply this to other scales.Probably a slower video can help me a lot to understand better.Anyway ....any way U can help me will be very appreciate.Really nice indian sounding:Im also a fan of Shakti and I can say it sound closer to that mood.Nice work man

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 31, 2010 2:06 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Where are you from Daniele?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:39 am
by Adam (deleted)

Welcome, Daniele!

Honestly, I think it's time you got out the TAB SHEETS, NECK DIAGRAMS and WRITING UTENSILS. Then, go back and watch the video, OVER and OVER,,,,figuring out, AND CHARTING, each note along the way.

Once you see a "pattern" develop, you can apply this to ANY SCALE you desire!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:37 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Hello Daniele.....
Making a vid is no prob...first Id like to see see a vid from you...just to see your level so I know how to explain these ideas...

How are you with playing sequences:
1-2-3-4 2-3-4-5
3rds
ect....

These exercises are kinda what I ment by templates being applied to a scale definition/pattern. One can take these sequences and apply them to any pattern.

One thing though...
Adam is right....eventually we all have to grab that writing utensil and try...try.....try....AND if still is too much ask.

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:32 pm
by daniele • 12 Posts

I m not looking for instant gratification.I just have one day at week to practice for more than 2 hour.When my wife is sleeping I take my earphones and play at late night.And I woke up 2 hour before going to work to have some more time to play.It's just a matter of time.But as always when someone join a club need some time to be considered.My fault.As i said I m following Pebber vids from some months now.And from Adam's answer it s obvious that we all have learned the Pebber Brown's statements.:-)

p.s. Keep in mind that I'm italian ...sorry for my mistakes on writings.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:09 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

ok...cool...

Are you familiar with practice sequences??

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:12 pm
by Adam (deleted)

Hey Daniele,,,,NEVER worry about your English; you're doing fine!

We will ask of you the SAME as was asked of us, when we were new. Actually, I have been studying Pebber Brown's Material for ONLY 18 Months, or so,,,,,I AM NEW!

I just want you to be comfortable, but yes, you MUST upload a Video of your playing. One of us will be GLAD to help you. Now, I know that Pebber is VERY busy, and he gets THOUSANDS of requests...so, it will probably be ME, FRAKH or URSIN who takes a look at your Video and helps you out,,,BUT Pebber WILL KNOW what we suggest to you, OK?

So, I will make it EASY for you: UPLOAD A VIDEO OF YOUR PLAYING....3 Minutes is FINE!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
596 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly