Standard Music notation or Tab

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:20 am
by Rick McDaniel • 4 Posts

I wanted to get Pebber's opinion and everyone elses opinion on this subject,,, I learned the basics of notation playing violin as a kid , however, I cant play anything on the guitar using this method,,, I do great with tab. I feel standard treble and bass clef really sucks when it comes to the guitar. Am I missing something ?

Scroll up

RE: Standard Music notation or Tab

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:59 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey Rick,

I think tabs like you get from guitar pro are great because you can read the rhythm on the treble cleff. I personally hat tabs that are written in a ordinairy text editor. If one just want to play music and do not have the desire to understand what they are playing I think tabs will do the job. But if one is interested whats happeniing in the music or wants to communicate with a other musician I think standard notation helps a lot.
If we as guitarists say to the Sax player, "well I sixth fret on the fourth string" he dont understand anything of it. This is a simple example and ofcourse we can find out that this tone is a G# (Ab). But IMHO standard notation is a way to communicate with every musician and tab is just for guitarists and bass players.

This is how I look to it.

Scroll up

RE: Standard Music notation or Tab

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:53 am
by Rick McDaniel • 4 Posts

i understand theory quiet well... time sigs. etc. however I just use tab as a guide at first then make everything my own,,, Im tired of trying to mimic everyone... in all honesty I guess Im to lazy to re learn standard again.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
60 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly