Scalpel picking

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:33 am
by Muso7444 • 5 Posts
Scroll up

RE: Scalpel picking

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:28 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Musso7444!

Looking really good, brother,,,and I LOVE the use of the metronome! I think you said it best yourself when you touched of the following 2 items:

1) When you alluded to the fact that you are more comfortable playing scales (in this case, the A-minor Pentatonic), then stick with that! Remember, Pebber himself always stresses this. He uses a combination and/or a hybrid of techniques depending on what the music calls for (single string runs, scales, chords, tremolo picking, palm muting). I have incorporated this into my playing, and got much better as a result.

2) Practicing can definitely get you the results you seek, as long as you practice right and on a consistent basis. I first got to know Pebber back in Summer 2008, and he introduced me to Scalpel and Sarod Picking Techniques. It took me 6 months of practicing each technique, before I felt comfortable enough to incorporate these techniques into my live playing. Like Pebber, I developed a Scalpel/Sarod Hybrid Technique. However; in no way does this mean I "mastered" either technique. Based on my research, most experts agree that it takes at least 10,000 HOURS of practicing something in order to become advanced.

Even despite this, here I am over 7 years later, and I am still working on improving these techniques introduced to me by Pebber!

Thank you so much for your post, Muso7444, and keep up the great work!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:22 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Great video Muso7444

This seems like good scalpel picking. Your thumb is clearly making the right movement and the rest of the arm doesnt move at all. This is how it should be as far my understanding goes. You also use a metronome and sometimes even me (I practice always with) forget to use it while posting (probably due to enthousiasm) a video so thumbs up for you!

Keep up the good work

Grtz Ray

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:05 am
by Muso7444 • 5 Posts

Thanks! That's good advice! I'll keep practicing!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
817 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly