Starting with 5 position system

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:46 pm
by Jaggers • 6 Posts

Hey guys, I've been playing about 2 years and want to expand knowledge to play jazz, blues, bebop.

I'm starting where Pebber suggests, with the 5 position systems. I watched the "scale systems" videos on YouTube, downloaded the PDF file and I'm learning them G. Once you learn the major, all minors, pents, arpeggio, do you then move onto another key...say A? And so on.

After you've learnt the keys on the 6th string, do you switch to the 5th string and learn it there, then the 4th string?

I'm a student and I suck and the music I play at college sucks, I have loads of free time, I usually practice between 11pm -4am but I suck. I Am going to subscribe here once I get so some spare cash.

Pebber you're an inspiration and an awesome teacher!

Last edited Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:50 pm | Scroll up

RE: Starting with 5 position system

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:27 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

You have to learn ALL 12 keys man in order - C, G, D, A, E, B, F#, C# then C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb and Cb. Hey wait isnt that 15 keys?
technically yes - but F#=Gb, C#=Db, Cb=B.
Thanks for the kind words I appreicate all your comments and support!
-=>PB

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:51 pm
by Jaggers • 6 Posts

Thanks Pebber! Would you suggest I learn all 6th string roots, then move onto 5th string, then 4th? Or is there another way??

Thanks again man!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:16 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Jagger you talking bout the caged system. was a great eye opener learning the caged system.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:37 pm
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

Jaggers,

You need to keep things simple. You should probably just stick with the 6th string for a while and invest a lot of time learning those positions. I know that from experience, I ended up just confusing myself by over-complicating things and learning too much at once. The scale diagrams Pebber has put up on his website will keep you occupied for a very long time.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 402 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: