Long time player wondering where to start over?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:32 am
by jvieira72 • 21 Posts

Hello all. My name is Jeff and I just registered on the site. I've watched tons of Pebber's videos and was impressed so I thought I come to him and his community for advice. I've been playing for over twenty years but never at more than a hobbyist level. I've been primarily a blues player even though I got into it in 89 when hair metal was at its final stages. I've had lessons but been mostly self taught. I have a lot of bad habits and huge gaps in my theory and fret board knowledge. For about 6 months now I've been consistently working with the metronome and it has helped a lot but I need some direction. I'd like to feel like I actually knew what I was doing and be able to play well enough that I don't irritate myself with how bad I am. Should I follow Pebber's syllabus from the beginning or do you all have other suggestions? Anything will be a big help. Thanks to anyone who decides to respond I appreciate it.

Scroll up

RE: Long time player wondering where to start over?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:21 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Yes. I would go to Pebber's YouTube channel, sort the videos from oldest to newest, and start watching and practicing the material covered as shown. Make sure you are holding the pick correctly, make sure you are holding the fret hand on the neck correctly, etc etc. I would start over from the very beginning as if you have never played the guitar before. Start over completely from the beginning. At first, this may be shocking. But, this is not out of the ordinary. Many musicians all over the world re-build their technique in different ways over and over again. Start from the beginning, watch all the videos, download the material when prompted, practice as shown and you will be on your way. Good luck!

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:40 am
by jvieira72 • 21 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the response. I've already watched quite a bit of the material but I need to to go through it thoroughly. Unfortunately I was a lazy player when I first started and easily side tracked by stomp boxes and the like. When you're 18 it's much more fun to get Wah pedals and make cool noises than to break out a metronome and do the work that actually allows you to play real music. Thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks Pebber for having some amazing material available.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:54 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I just worked with a kid yesterday who practices with a metronome. We spent about 45 minutes working on his timing and I discovered one thing very critical - people who work with metronomes only THINK they do. Most people have EXTREMELY WEAK timing and EXTREMELY POOR concentration skills. This is HANDS DOWN across the board. Even people who think they are workiong with a metronome dont really concentrate and get the timing exact. You really have to focus with a lot of effort to really get timing down right.
Try practicing the "making the metronome disappear" technique (in timing videos) to see how off you really are. This kid yesterday almost cried - "man I dont know whats going on - I practice with the metronome every day and I have been doing it since last year" But he was off and he missed hitting the beats. LOTS and LOTS of students are like that. Its not easy to get down right away and requires EXTREME effort and CONCENTRATION SKILLS, which so far, almost NO ONE seems to have.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:46 pm
by jvieira72 • 21 Posts

My timing is still off, but it's much closer than before. I get what you're saying about the concentration too. When I do exercises 9 times out of ten 10 I'll pick a wrong note or lose a beat, simply because my mind wanders. I've played a lot of video games over the years and I think it makes your mind a little gooey. It makes you think you need to be doing 5 different things at the same time ALL the time. So making the metronome disappear is when your playing a note at the exact same time the metronome is and you only hear the note? I think I remember somebody mentioning that years ago as well. I'll make that a goal then. I'm definitely not there yet. I follow the beat instead of being on it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:18 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

If your going wrong nine times out of ten slow right down to a crawl. maybe go wrong once then correct but never let yourself keep going wrong. your programming yourself to go wrong..

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:17 pm
by jvieira72 • 21 Posts

So then the timing would be the top priority and do not pass go and collect $200 until it's conquered. Makes sense, because if that's wrong everything else will be wrong as well. Thanks

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 42 (yesterday 452) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: