How can I know the pitch of pinch harmonics?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:32 pm
by nickjacquet (deleted)

This question does not pertain to bell touchy harmonics b/c they have simple rules for what pitches they make...I think the 4th & 9th frets
make an octave of what pitch the 4th fret normally makes....5th and 12th make octave of open string....7th fret makes an octave of the pitchc from the 7th fret...but when I do a snarl dealy on other frets like 6th fret for instance,,,how can I know in advance what the pitch frequency
that I will be making will be?

Last edited Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:33 pm | Scroll up

RE: How can I know the pitch of pinch harmonics?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:41 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Depends where you pick the string at. When you produce an artificial harmonic with the pick (pinch harmonic) you are stopping the fundamental from ringing and allowing an overtone to come through. The overtone produced is dependent on the exact point where you have plucked the string with the pick because silencing the fundamental at different points changes the length of the string, thus changing the overtone produced.

-Ursin

Last edited Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:42 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:32 pm
by jvieira72 • 21 Posts

Every time I read a post of these forums I'm made painfully more aware of how little I know in comparison to so many. It really is impressive the amount knowledge and the obvious level of comprehension you folks possess.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:32 am
by uderoche (deleted)

To fully answer your question you need to watch this video. After watching this video you need to research "artificial harmonics." I believe after doing this, you will have the answer to your question.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:04 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Thanks for posting that video!! I HAVE to study it now.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:50 pm
by nickjacquet (deleted)

This dude is a Lord of Music...all the Secondary Domination around 55-ish min mark reminded me of something my old theory and analysis teacher would play for us in in class.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:10 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

He is one of the Titans who live on the Rings of Saturn!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 13 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
190 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly