*UP* picking and strumming weaker than *DOWN*

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:53 am
by DelornificatioN • 4 Posts

Sorry in advance if this is a repost. I looked for a topic about this, but couldn't find one, so here it is:

Anything that involves the UP motion of the pick is so weaker and harder to do than the DOWN motion. This includes picking single notes, strumming chords and even sweep arpeggios - whenever there is UP involved, it literally sucks and it slows my progress down big time.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? I heard Pebber talk about this in a video once, but if I recall correctly it was rather vague and unspecific. I think he said that McGlauglin wrote a book on that very subject, but I couldn't find that either. And for the life of me, I can't find the video in his channel (so many lessons, can't go through all of them just for a few seconds segment).

So can anyone help me out with this? Any advice and suggestions.

Scroll up

RE: *UP* picking and strumming weaker than *DOWN*

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:10 am
by John567 • 156 Posts

Hi "DelornificatioN",

I do remember Pebber talk about it in one of his videos. I believed he thanked Al Di Meola for it. He basically said to isolate the upstroke motion and practice it with a metronome on one string. So, maybe include this as a warmup before you practice everyday. Slowly increment it over time, etc...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:21 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

I think with over 40 videos on picking one thing Pebber cannot be accused of is being Vague and non specific..

Just practice upstrokes until they fee as natural as down..

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:55 am
by nickjacquet (deleted)

Maybe if you practice playing guitar while you are upside down than doing upstrokes will be easier than down strokes

all wittery aside...the best advice that I have ever heard on the problem of upstrokes is try ussing only upstrokes every other day or once every few days.

Last edited Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:58 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:08 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Scalpel Picking---the guys above got it....practice upstrokes with a metronome and try designing licks that will accent the upstroke...??
Sarod Picking---try using weights to strengthen the forearm.

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Last edited Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:08 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Actually, weird enough, when using sarod picking I have no problems whatsoever. In fact, upstrokes are even better than the downstrokes when doing sarod picking. Use weights you say, well I'm a weightlifter when I'm not a guitar player - I guess that explains that. :)

I'll follow your tips, see where it takes me.

p.s. In this context, I thought it may be appropriate to note one of Buckethead's songs called Big Sur Moon. He plays that with all upstrokes. Gonna learn that shit in a couple of octaves and include it in my routine.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Have a good one.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:00 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Daily practice sheet module 1 -

Right Hand Exercise Worksheet:

Exercise 2.32, 2.42 and 3.02

http://www.pbguitarstudio.com/pdf_files/...seWorksheet.pdf

Explained in GREAT DETAIL at 17:31 on DVD #1 Vol.1 v2

http://www.pbguitarstudio.com/BuyDVDs.html

Last edited Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:05 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:52 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I would definitely pick up Pebber's Picking Techniques video. It's THE how to pick video. No others even come close. It's the stuff Pebber has been teaching for 30+ years.

UP is going to, by nature, be weaker than DOWN when beginning because when going UP you are going against gravity. But, in time, they will both become the same. That's the key. To get them both to sound exactly the same.

-Ursin

Last edited Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:52 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:00 am

Well, I guess that takes care of that. Thanks a bunch, gentlemen.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:03 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

YES most definitely pick up the dvd...30+ years teaching the same way with PHENOMENAL results speaks for its self...plus I can say Im one of those guys from...geezzzz 20 years ago....lol...who learned exactly what you will get on the dvd!

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
284 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 950) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly