1-2-4-3 chromatic permutation problem

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:08 pm
by acosta_rodrigo • 13 Posts

Hi everybody, I'm having issues with the 1243 permutation. After finger 4, the finger 3 ends very close to the theatboard and is very difficult for me to lift it up. I guess this is because the finger is weak, but keep in mind that I practice thrill exercises every day.

I'm focusing also in 2 notes ladder exercises with fingers 3 and 4, docking fingers 1 and 2...but not sure if this will help correct this problem.

Any exercise you guys can recommend me I would really appreciate it.

Scroll up

RE: 1-2-4-3 chromatic permutation problem

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

i could easily be wrong. but you can try doing the trills and spider videos before chromatics to strengthen your left hand?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:05 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Try this... all without picking. Place 1st finger, as hammer on from nowhere, place 2nd finger, as hammer on, place the 4th and 3th and same time, as hammer on, pull off with 4th on 3rd which stays on fret(at the same time virtual pull of with 2nd finger), and then the pull of on 1st. Repeat. Try similar movement with picking, with hammer on's and pull off's reduced to mimic movements as placing down and lifting up. Work on spiders, and spider thrills big time. Hope it helps.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi, I forgot to mention that I do almost the entire set of excercises for both hands, provided by PB.

Debilius...thanks I will give it a try, and this may solve the issue...but I don't think I'm correcting the weakness on the fingers with this, right? is just another way of doing the permutations...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:31 am
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

Are you able to do Spider 1,3 - 2,4 effortesly? as well as all set of spiders?
Remember to relax those fingers as much as you can and start insanely slow at first to really cement things in you brain properly.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 am
by dave86uk • 34 Posts

@acosta_rodrigo have you watched this video from pebber ?

Last edited Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:17 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:57 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

It sounds like a weak pinky...everybody has that problem!
How long do you trill?
I think the trill will solve it...but dont over do it!

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:20 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

NO you are doing it right! 1-2-4-3 - what happens is you put 1 down, hold it down, then put 2 down - now holding down BOTH 1 and 2.
Then put down 4. Finger 3 should also go down behind it. Then lift UP finger 4 to reveal 3. THATS the correct technique.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:13 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Quote: pebberbrown wrote in post #8
NO you are doing it right! 1-2-4-3 - what happens is you put 1 down, hold it down, then put 2 down - now holding down BOTH 1 and 2.
Then put down 4. Finger 3 should also go down behind it. Then lift UP finger 4 to reveal 3. THATS the correct technique.

Pebber, would I use the same technique for the 4-3-2-1 permutation as well? Put all 4 down then lift up 4-3-2?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:27 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: AceLuby wrote in post #9
Quote: pebberbrown wrote in post #8

Pebber, would I use the same technique for the 4-3-2-1 permutation as well? Put all 4 down then lift up 4-3-2?

Yes, put down all 4 and then lift 4 to reveal 3. Lift 3 to reveal 2. Lift 2 to reveal 1. Don't lift fingers into air. Pull fingers backward towards palm of hand.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Cool. Thanks Ursin!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:29 am

Yes 4-3-2-1 same technique. Thats 100% pure classical technique when doing it that way. Not easy and uncomfortable for a lot of guys and they complain endlessly and say its "unnatural" and "useless" and I am spreading disinformation. Tell it to John Williams or Segovia!
Segovia would have his bodyguards pick up the guy and take him to the sausage factory and have him "dissappeared." Never eat spanish sausage....

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:19 am

now I'm a bit confused. I have practiced many months the classical technique with chromatic scale and I'm find with it. But I thought the permutations were "designed" to generate fingering independence and that you had to lift every finger after you played the note.

of course it is not the classical technique....but it helped to practice your brain - finger connection.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:32 am

You do NOT want to "lift" your fingers independently like that. Keep them down until you use them. THATS the technique.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
298 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 107) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly