Learning licks?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 am
by hudsontoronto • 79 Posts

In my practice routine I noticed that I need to practice some licks...
Because im faster now on my picking hand but all I can play is scales.
What do you have to say about learning licks and scales ?
Should one give more time to scales or licks? Or both equally ?

Scroll up

RE: Learning licks?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

How are your scale sequences???

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:31 pm

My scale sequecences? Hum....
I use three note sequences some times..
I know the 14 position system well "major".
Most of my soloing ideas come from major, MM, And pentatonic scales...
How do you play?
Licks? Or scales? Or both?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Let me ask you something different,,,..
If you had one hour per day of practice what would you practice???
Tough question eh?
Lol.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:48 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Ok, you use 3 note sequences sometimes, you say. Why not to approach every position from 14 pos sys with the same sequence.

And then 4 note sequence. And then 5ns, 6,ns 7ns, 8ns,9ns etc... and then all those with different timing ideas... for example, 3 note sequence played in 4tuplets... or maybe 5 note sequence played in 6tuplets, or 6 note sequence played in 5tuplets etc... somebody on this forum(I can't recall who, sorry) mentioned cross rhythms... why not to try different note groupings in different timing... cyclic permutations....

Maybe applying some scale sequence in numerical way on some arpeggio... maybe you could like Maj7 arpeggio 4 note sequence in 6tuplet timing... or minor 6 arpeggio 5 note sequence in 7tuplet timing also...

Why not to involve targeting 3rds from the chord, and 7th also... or 5th and 9th... or any other interval from the chord you're improv over... just to see(hear) how it feels for you...

And also... do all of licks you can try, but with analytical approach, where you can relate over what chord/progression the same are used...

Actually... I described to you what I practice the most....

Regards Hudson, glad to see you again on this forum.

Last edited Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:50 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:28 pm
by oddbaugh • 16 Posts

Speaking for myself: 10 minutes RIGHT HAND, 10 minutes LEFT HAND, 10 minutes SCALES, 10 minutes CHORDING, 10 minutes EAR TRAINING & SIGHT READING, 10 minutes ARPEGGIOS & PATTERNS, 10 minutes TUNES/REPERTOIRE. That's 10 minutes per module for a total of 70 minutes. (For me, at the 10 minute point of anything, I've just slogged from frozen completely solid to ice cold.) After a month or two of that, I'd realize my technique is progressing at a dead and completely putrified snail's pace, so I would figure out how to make more time for practice.

Practice routines are totally up to the individual. If one wants to spend 50 minutes a day focusing on a single discipline and nothing else, then more power to 'em. It's all up to you. What do you want?

I've exceeded my 6 minute online activity limit, so I'm going back to practice... because it's fun and much more interesting than anything else. Good luck!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 pm
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Learn the 2, 3, 4, & 5 note sequences for each of the 14 positions. I have for most of the positions and it is surprisingly musical when used in context. Another thing to try is to use an arpeggio to go back in the scale sequence

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:28 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Hudson I dont think you have enough free time to do all that you want. At this point I think you should spend 20 min module 1, 20 min module 2, and then 20 min on scales and licks. Maybe more on licks since you WANT to do that. WHat licks? I started learning licks back in the 1960's with Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Yardbirds, Jeff Beck and Johnny Winter. The 1970's included more new licks from Ritchie Blackmore, Jan Akkerman, Jimmy Page and Robin Trower. In the Mid 70's I started studying McLaughlin and Al Di Meola licks and then later Holdsworth (aka Bruford one of a kind and UK) so you have to pick a CD and just tell yourself "Ok I am going to memorize this fucking think from beginning to end and just sit down and START. I did that with Johnny Winter 1969, Jeff Beck Truth, Jeff Beck Beck-ola, Cream Disraeli gears, Cream Wheels of Fire, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Axis Bold as love, ELectric Lady land, and then Deep Purple machine head, Live in Japan and Burn, Then for me Jeff Beck Blow by Blow, Jeff Beck WIRED, and then Mahavishnu Orchestra Birds of Fire and Inner mounting flame and then Between nothingness and eternity. Then I started studying Holdsworth - Softw Machine, UK, Bruford, IOU and more. It can take hundreds of hours to get a whole album down tight. Just fucking do it!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:05 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

I would do nothing but two finger trills in a minor second interval while plying sarod on the remainingk open stringks!!!!

Thees is what FRaKh would do!

:)

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:18 am

But Frakh you dont know Hudson. He wants to get out and PLAY man - not do endless drills. SO his method of practice will always be slanted towards avoiding the boring shit and trying to play some lines and tunes instead. Nothing wronmg with that except (and he will agree with me here) that you get to a point where you find out that your hands cant play what you are hearing or want to do and then you realize - fuck man I have to go back and work on my skills! So here I am helping everyone do that.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:11 am

Thank you Pebber and Frakh for the replies ...
I was looking at my postes and messages on this forum from last year and I can see that I really improved my knowledge in music a lot but my playing it self havent changed much ,
I learned the 14 position system , I'm picking much much faster, and now I have a general idea about improvisation ...
Given the time I have practiced during this past 2 years I would say that I made a very visible improvement ..
Your method really works! I love to do picking exercises, left hand spiders , etc...
The more I think about getting better the more I realise that time is very
Important and it takes lots of time and plan to get better...
My only solution is to put in more hours in the practice room.. But how if I have a family , two kids to feed it is not easy.. Day jobs beat the heck out of you ...
All of the young people studying with Pebber should be very glad to know him, because if you put your time in his method you are going to be a very successful guitar player...
As for me... Looking for another job perhaps ? So I can have more practice time , I don't know man ..
It sucks to be me... :0(=

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:56 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Welllll.....not to toot my horn but...
I have 3 kids...am a Realtor which is 24/7....only 2 years (all together) studyingk with Pebber in person...knew him when I was 16..... and have 3 inventions and have developed and modified my Sarod technique 4 times in the past7 years..
ITS A PAIN IN THE ARSE!!!
But I did it!
At night when my kids are asleep......trill...me=5hours
Sarod with one hand...eat with the other....
I find it very VERY VERYYYYY important to document my playing ALL THE TIME and listen to what you are playing...use
Video
Voice recorder
write down ideas

THe MAIN thing you WANT to work on is your technique!!!!
If thats all the time you have...my opinion....Your technique should be your focus.
IF YOU CANT PHYSICALLY PLAY YOU CANT???....PLAY RIGHT?
You might have brilliant ideas but what good are they if you cant play them.

And
right now....I am swamped with work...soooooo.....
I trill and play triplets with sarod just to keep up my technique....maintenance...so its not so hard to get back to where I was prior to yet another break in my playing.
I find it refreshing to take these forced breaks....ideas flow everywhere!

You have to work the problem. Busy everyday life can consume you....
find a way and
work on your technique!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Oh and use a mirror!!!!

I used the word refreshing....wtf...lol
I have been using too many happy ass terms lately...:)

FRaKh

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:19 am

Wow, thank you so much Frakh ...
I was feling really down with everything that was happening, not havIng time to practice and thinking I will never be " good"
I'm a little different because I work framing houses and I get home late and tired, my kids go to bed at 9 and I practice from 9 to 10 some time to 11 .... The wife doesn't help as well, u know they want to watch a movie at night , women need lots of attention ....
But your. Comment was very up lifting!!!
I think I can do this, maybe I gotta find another job...
For now it is what it is !!! I'm going to keep at it... Let's see how far can I get before I die..... Lol.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

A big key to this whole thing is to get your wife on board. Let her know how important this is to you and how much dedication you want to have vs how much time you have to spend. She should understand and you should still be able to get some practice w/ her around. Tie a sock around the neck during the movie and do trills, spiders, and mindless picking drills. That's when I try to get those drills done so that I'm spending time w/ her while still getting in good practice. Other than that try to dedicate an hour each day where you focus on guitar, learning licks, doing metronome practice, learning songs, practicing songs, etc... things that take your whole attention. If you and your lady watch commercial TV do trills and such during the show w/ a sock over the neck and then do scale practice during the commercials. You can do it, you just have to be creative as to when you practice.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:25 am

I like the sock idea. I do practice while watching movies already ... Mostly picking exercises...
Thanks for all the good ideas guys...
I'm happy to know that are more people in similar situation as me..
It makes me feel that it is possible to work around any situation..
Like they say " if there is a will there is a way"

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:08 am

I want Hudson to write a new song totally FRANK SINATRA STYLE called "It sucks to be me!" FRANK SINATRA style with lyrics and everything.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:33 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

You've got it all wrong Hudson It's not another job you need.... why can't you practice with the kids and Missus around
my lot must be so good with there timing all they ever here is the tick tock of my metronome... and if they don't like it TUFF!!!

I send the missus out to do that, 12 hour shifts while I become a guitar jedi... Am i a bad man HA! HA! HA!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Hahaha Pebber you made me laugh....
Im going to produce that song " it sucks to be me" lyrics , chords everything ...

Hey deltadisco, my kids are always asking for something.,.
Ask Pebber , one of the videos that I recoded for my online lesson , I didn't even noticed my kid on the background.. Hahaha.
If they aren't asking off something , they will be playing video games, or making noise watching tv...
Do there is no way that I can practice around my kids...
It is all good , they go to bed at 9... And I get some extra hours on the weekend...
Things will be all right !!!!
I'm more motivated after receiving all the support from my friends from this forum..

Thank you guys...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:35 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

OHH man...take a look at my videos...my son is everywhere!!!!
This is what you do..
practice but make them sing!
Sing about shooting bad guys.....take out their guts.....poke them in the eyes....
Eating boogers.....
Picking boogers....
Farting.....
!

It works!

And if it doesnt....
Chase them with a booger!
They will leave you alone!
Especially your wife!
Mine nags alllllll theeeeee time!

A booger...simple solution

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:40 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Zitat
I want Hudson to write a new song totally FRANK SINATRA STYLE called "It sucks to be me!" FRANK SINATRA style with lyrics and everything.

Pebber, you're totally genious... I laughed my eyes around my head in Saturn rings style about this one. What a "similar thinker effect moment/deja vu some sort or whatever"... you're totally crazy! I love to be a part of this forum/community or whatever...

(Think of it dudes, has anyone before you, that played/plays guitar, tried to translate some "Sinatra licks" on a guitar... I know for myself that I have a "Harry Belafonte" lick/sequence)

Hudson, listen(read and apply) everything what Pebber says... the man is right. Yes, you do learn lick and sequences... but every man(including myself) gets back to drills over time...it just had to be done. Do it whenever you can.

I remember myself, in the moment of some Jason Becker arpeggio(not Serrana) sequence playing(some Rusty Cooley sounding shit from Cacophony), and I almost broke my pinky... because of wrong approach, straight pinky... and then I time-traveled myself back and worked on curving my pinky to mirror other fingers of the fretting hand as much as possible... thank you Pebber, you enlightened me on this back in day, even before this forum existed...

Also, even before that, I remember myself practicing The Flight of the Bumble Bee... and it worked sometimes, mostly in picking, less in synchronization, so I had to come back at fretting hand pseudo chromatic permutations workout and even invent a "finger lifting permutations" for myself for simple 4321 permutation and work on it, since it was a big problem for me because I didn't met that figure before... like, it's easy, anybody can do it if one can pull out some Yngwie licks... well I couldn't do it... and I went back to Pebber's plan, and to this day I still can't do some finger control manifesto as my brain dictates... but I can do some things now for what I thought I'll have a 3 decade time problem to work it out.

Keeping everything in the plan dictated by situation would probably be the best formula, whatever time one could have.

Mclaughlin worked as a truck driver... and in the evening, all tired and hungry for a sleep, he "forced" himself on working on a "boring" stuff over and over again... "sleepy" stuff, but how many times he went with this awakening session to be tired at a job... and in the morning, and all day, he worked his job, but his mind was probably always most focused on thinking about guitar/music stuff... I bet it was like that...

So, it actually IS...where's will, there's a way!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:33 pm

OK it wasnt SINATRA - it was SAMMY DAVIS JR. Here you go
HUDSON - change the lyrics and use this as a model
to "It sucks to be me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl4SRVXgGiI

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Hahahahahahaha.... It does really suck to be me....

Are u Serios ? Want me to do that? I will...hahahaha...

Have a nice weekend guys ....

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:52 am
by John567 • 156 Posts

Holy Universe.... I can cut some of my practice time in half. Fuck me, eh? It was there in front of me all this time but I just didn't see it. I nominate FRaKh as high priest of guitar.

Can we get a second motion?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:13 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

hehehehehe.....I like THAT!

thanx!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
29 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly