The top 1% of trillers

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:55 am
by nickjacquet (deleted)

Just re-watched a bunch of the trill youtube content. And one thing I am wondering is what the true upper echelon of trillers are capable of...I do I recall Pebber talking in one of the vids about knowing some people that can trill for like 20 min straight...(at least with some of the more basic trill), Since I know that Pebber probably knows a decent number of world class players, I am wondering to what extent the worlds' guitar elite take those simple basic Left hand 101 trill permutations in their daily practice. Are there people out there who practice them so religeously, that they can for instance, sit there and maintain a 1-4 two finger trill for say 2 straight hours without breaking focuss (or breaking a sweat). I know that after about 8-10 min of such a trill I catch myself being uncomfortable and sometimes tensing/holding my breath.

"Sarod floats like a butterfly...But it stings like when I trill"-Old Shed Proverb

Scroll up

RE: The top 1% of trillers

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:40 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Have done 20 mins on one trill now and again but normally work it for 5

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:18 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

6 HOURS

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:20 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:20 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

MAYBE 10 HOURS.....

Randolf Smuntz

Last edited Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:37 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:49 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

6-10 hours sounds very impressive. Forgive me if this comes across as rude because that's not my intention, but aside from just a personal challenge why should anyone want to do trills with the same finger combination more than like 20 minutes? We're strength training here, right? So an analogy might be a bodybuilder choosing a dumbbell at a weight where they could do curls for hours on end. Total waste of training time. It seems to me that there's a point, which probably varies with the speed of your trill, where the marginal strength increase after a certain amount of time is way too small to be worth it.

For example, if you can trill sixteenth notes at 200 bpm for 20 minutes using a particular combination of figures, you could probably safely move on to the next combination of fingers without it hindering your improvement. But if you can only trill sixteenth notes at 80 bpm (or less) for 20 minutes using that combination, you should keep practicing (probably at much higher speeds for shorter periods of time; gradually increasing the time). There's nothing magical about sixteenth notes or 200 bpm either so pick your own moving on values.

Anyway, I'd guess that most of us are NOT at the point of moving on yet for any one finger combination (though FRaKh clearly is). Given all the finger combinations there are, we should probably be doing trills our whole lives. But 10 hours on 1-3? Time is too valuable.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:44 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

I trill for at least an hour a day. Trill each 1 finger combo until I can't, rest a min or two, then do each 2 finger combo, then the first finger alone. After that I work on my open string 2 finger trills and finish up w/ the first finger trill. If I'm watching a movie I'll do that 2 times w/ a sock over the neck so I don't bother the wife.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:17 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

For me it is about endurance, plus I needed to use the other hand to write with.

When I was hard core(10+hrs/day)....anything to change up the practice day was very much embraced!!!

You should see the exercises one can come up with after 8hrs, just to F&^k around.
:)

20 min should be enough.

Randolf Smuntz

Last edited Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:21 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 am
by condoriano • 28 Posts

time is muscles

Last edited Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:13 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:25 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

One of the things that I do is to use SCALES to trill. Try just simple pentatonic scale pos 1 and trill on all six strings for each pair of notes. Also you can use G Major Pos 1 and trill from 7 to 1 - then 1 to 2 - and then 7 to 2 ALL on the sixth string. Then do the same on the 5ths string trill 3 to 4 - then 4 to 5 - then 3 to 5 ALL on the 5th string. This builds strength without being a 10hr 1 and 3 fionger trill and you can USE these trills right away in your solos if you get them down with scale patterns as well. The idea of trills is to develop strength and coordination FIRST - B E F O R E you try to learn a bunch of scales (with crappy loser level hand strength and fumbling coordination skills) LIKE SO MANY GUITAR TEACHERS WILL TEACH YOU. They dont know how fucked they really are and the world of students believes what they tell them. Dont believe it! TRILLS are very important and on the scale of 1-10 FrAkH is about a 30.5. So be warned of his advice its not for weaklings or mortals.

Last edited Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:27 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:03 am
by condoriano • 28 Posts

!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:32 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

tHANK YOU MASTER!

guys.....
Guitar FULL ON....or Guitar FULL OFF.....the middle is for nothing more than getting chicks!

Randolf Smuntz

Last edited Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:34 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:13 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

But in the end...have fun with it!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:30 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Shaolin Guitar Monk!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 13 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
40 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly