Music Texts??

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

I'm getting read to hit the road recruiting for my employer at a few colleges and I don't want to chat with the people accompanying me on this trip. What a better time than to actually learn something? Anyway, who can offer ideas for texts geared towards music theory? (Not true beginner stuff as I've already worked through a couple.) Anything geared towards the guitarist is a plus, though I don't expect many of those to exist.

- One school I'm attending lists "Music in Theory and Practice, Vol1" by Benward as required reading for Music Theory 1 and 2.
- Another lists "The Musician’s Guide to Theory and Analysis" by Clendinning & Marvin.
- University of La Verne may have textbooks online for MT I through IV that I overlooked, but I couldn't find that information.
- Berklee has their own and Amazon wouldn't get them to me in time.

Am I wasting my time? Should I just focus on technique and singing while playing?

Scroll up

RE: Music Texts??

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:48 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:50 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Thanks for the link but that looked like a lousy way to spend one's time. It looked like reference material and was presented in a more academic than practical way. So, do you actually use it? If so, for what and why did you think it was worth passing on?

Man, I guess this forum isn't into reading. Anyway, back to practicing technique.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:50 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

There have been book recommendations. "The Advancing Guitarist" by Mick Goodrick. Also Coltrane's biography. The Thesarus of Scales and Melodic Patterns is a must have item but not a good "read" per se. Depends on what you consider a good read I assume.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:57 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

My apologies, I'll search better. Thanks for the recommendations.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

The Lexicon of Musical Invective by Slonimsky. Thats good shit.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:12 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Where is that book by.......Mr. Brown!??

Those Soviet Publishers....take your money and print on Chernobyl paper!

:)

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
431 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia