What kind of question is this?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Sent from youtube ID: turnbacktime

turnbacktime
Why is Allan Holdsworth so Good?
Hi Pebber,
I previously sent you a message regarding Allan Holdsworth which you responded to but some idiot hacked my youtube account and deleted everything in my inbox.

I'm 28 and have been practicing playing the guitar for 3yrs after watching your videos.

My favourite Guitarists are Paco Lucia, Buckethead, Guthrie Govan, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, BB King, Robin Trower, Slash... to name a few.

As I said previously, both Van Halen and Vai amongst others have said they consider Holdsworth to be the greatest guitarist ever. Why is this?.. eventhough the general public dont know who he is.

I told him to go ahead and figure it out!

Sheeesh!

Scroll up

RE: What kind of question is this?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:33 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Tell heem its a secret.......

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:34 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Slash ???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtf....

I guess......not for me!

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:17 pm
by Drift • 13 Posts

What a dumb question. You should of told him Allan's so good because he has the pick of destiny.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:40 pm
by ferretwraith • 14 Posts

I feel like the innocent nature of the question is "What does it take to amaze a virtuoso? Vai is so incredibly good, yet here is this other guy who impresses even him. Please help me try to conceive what this other guy is doing to leave such an impression on someone who has such a vast education in musical theory as well as skill in technical execution."

Granted, the way he asked sounds more like "I think Allan Holdsworth sucks balls. The general public agrees with me. Why are EVH and Vai so stupid. You have nothing better to do with your time, so try to convince me why EVH and Vai are not stupid."

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:19 am
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

My favourite guitarist is Jack White. Sue me.

On first reading it appears to me that the guy was just asking an honest question. Then again I am not one for youtube guitar wars.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:53 am
by John567 • 156 Posts

"Why is Allan Holdsworth so good?"

Here he is at 28 years old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnyKYDy6O8Y&feature=g-vrec

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:46 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Quote: John567 wrote in post #7
"Why is Allan Holdsworth so good?"

Here he is at 28 years old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnyKYDy6O8Y&feature=g-vrec

This video is great!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:42 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Answer that guy that Allan is that good since he didn't put his 20 years of playing into learning alternate picking so he sped up some process while doing legato, and voila, you'll get another shred guy who use legato as a religion to play some nonsense shit...

Last edited Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:44 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:19 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Really? Some "nonsense shit?"

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:40 am
by Debilius • 96 Posts

I know I suck at the English language, so it's easy to misinterpret what I wrote above, even the part about possible answer to that guy was intended as a joke but ok...

I believe that especially you Pebber, as a guitar teacher, face very often with some young student who watched Holdsworth play and had noticed his use of legato mostly, and this student could took an idea about legato technique as granted and nothing else, or some student who has seen Gambale's playing and took only an idea about sweeping from him and nothing else, or some student who has heard Malmsteen and learned harmonic minor scale in one key/position and he thinks he owns the world because of that.

And again why is Holdsworth that good? One of many reasons is probably because, even if he was preferring listening to sax and horn players, he didn't literary copy the technique needed to play wind instrument and applied the blowing technique on a guitar... that would be very interesting to watch.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 297 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: