Thumb pressure behind the neck

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:18 pm
by muldar3000 • 13 Posts

Curious how much pressure on your thumb should be behind the neck? I feel since I've been working on scales I may be pushing too hard into the back of the neck with my thumb to better control my fretting fingers, it has been getting really fatigued, or is that normal? It is flat against the neck btw, when I first started I seemed to point into the neck with my thumb a bit.

Thanks!

Scroll up

RE: Thumb pressure behind the neck

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

I'd say a bit of fatigue in the thumb is normal until you build up some strength. I deal with a little bit and shake it out occasionally while practicing.

A caveat: if it's beyond normal muscle fatigue (i.e., pain), then STOP IMMEDIATELY. You could be developing a strain and that could take months to heal.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:29 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi muldar3000!

I concur entirely with Farelli: You need to be your own gauge of what is comfortable versus what is "too much." Having said that, you do NOT need to "dig in," or press "super hard," as that will inhibit your ability to play fluidly.

If it gets to a point where it is "tingling" or "numb," then you are pressing way too hard and need to completely stop the exercise. Sometimes, all you need is 5-10 minutes and a good shake-out in order to be able to continue, and sometimes, you'll need to put everything down until the following day.

GREAT QUESTION!! THANK YOU!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:02 pm
by muldar3000 • 13 Posts

Thanks Farelli! I appreciate it

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:03 pm
by muldar3000 • 13 Posts

Thanks for the reply Adam, good to know!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

You should be able to play without any thumb pressure, The thumb is there as a guide really. you should be touching the strings onto the frets not pushing them down. Theres a great video of Pebber playing live where he removes the thumb from the back of the guitar and plays like this. He also does it in a speed video on youtube. i guess this would come after a lot of strength training, why not give it a try.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word

Last edited Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:34 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:02 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

I forgot about that video. I gotta check it out again. I've always had a little tension in my thumb muscles, especially when playing barre chords.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:45 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: deltadiscos wrote in post #6
Theres a great video of Pebber playing live where he removes the thumb from the back of the guitar and plays like this. He also does it in a speed video on youtube.
Hey deltadiscos and Farelli, If either of you can find one, or better yet, BOTH of those videos, please link them in this thread...Nothing better than seeing the Master at work!!!

delta, that was a SPOT-ON call on your part ---- VERY well done, my Friend!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:59 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Here's a good one where he's showing how he plays fast, talking about his right hand thumb being relaxed. But at 2:25 in the video at a random point in his runs he brings his left thumb down next to his index finger and keeps on going.

It's also worthy of note that at several points he doesn't have his thumb firmly in back of his middle finger even though it's on the back of the neck. That makes in clear he's not using that much pressure with that thumb.

Last edited Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:01 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:33 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Check out at 1:05 . Actually better than that just watch all three just soloing videos they are just mind blowing.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word

Last edited Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:35 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 18 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 357 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: