Too Far Gone To Re-Learn Picking?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:06 pm
by Paul Kump • 12 Posts

Hey all,
I've been playing for a while, and I originally did not learn scalpel or sarod picking. My preferred picking technique--which I'm not in love with--is rather stiff and inelegant but, for the most part, gets the job done.

In one of Pebber's Daily Practice Routine videos, he makes the claim that your picking method, in the end, does not matter. There are hundreds of different methods, and they can be developed to be fast and accurate. See, for example, Rusty Cooley. What matters is that you practice picking every day for more than just a couple minutes.

I wish my picking was more elegant and relaxed but I feel like trying to change my picking, at this point in my guitar playing career, would be counter productive. I DO practice picking everyday, though it is picking in MY style, not sarod or scalpel.

Thoughts?

Paul
www.paulkump.com
youtube channel
www.jussymusic.com
Scroll up

RE: Too Far Gone To Re-Learn Picking?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:48 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

I'd say it's your call, but you can definitely learn scalpel or sarod.

I never learned anything but self-taught picking methods for 30 years, and started working on scalpel and sarod 2 years ago and saw a nearly immediate improvement in my accuracy, speed, tone, and clarity. 2 years later I am a much cleaner player from having learned that. It gives me much tighter control over my movements.

If you're curious to see what it's like, just take 15 minutes a day for a week or 2 doing scalpel only. It'll be weird at first but you get accustomed to it pretty quickly.

If I want to work on scalpel or sarod I still have to focus on it. When I play I use all sorts of different angles, of course. But there is definitely more flexibility in my thumb joint than before; I can see it in videos if I show my right hand. So even though I go back to my earlier picking styles, scalpel picking has become a part of that and it's made me a lot better.

But like I said above, it's your time, so spend it however you want on what you think will give you the best results.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:40 am
by Paul Kump • 12 Posts

Farelli, do you have any before-and-after videos you could share with me/us?

Paul
www.paulkump.com
youtube channel
www.jussymusic.com
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:03 am
by heyman • 60 Posts

Hey Paul,
You could maybe plant your pinky at times so you get controlled movement across your hand i.e.(Controlled Thumb Movement and Knuckle Placement) rather than from your wrist. Your knuckles are then on an axis rather than pivoting around. Instead of moving your wrist to place your hand at different strings, you're pivoting left to right on your pinky. Then maybe, you can be responsible for the eBG and maybe the D string. I hope this isn't too confusing and I hope this helps.
By the way, I like your playing.

Heyman

Talk it then walk it.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:25 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Hey Paul,

My older videos probably show some pretty sour picking. I'll check later.

I'll also try to get a video of my picking today. There will certainly be an apparent difference.

But it'll take me until later this evening. At work for a while yet.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:14 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Here's a good example of my "before" picking, from December, 2014.

I'll have to record one from now, showing my right hand position. That will take a couple of days most likely.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:57 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Never to late to learn a new technique. its gonna feel strange for a while, and that's where most people quit.
stick at it for a while (couple months at least) see if its for you.

Remember Pebber tried the ten/twelve position major scale system for ten years before deciding he needed to change it.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:59 pm
by Paul Kump • 12 Posts

Thanks for the replies, you guys. I think I am going to take the arduous journey to try to change my picking style to Pebber's sarod-scalpel hybrid. My wrist cannot even make that damn sarod motion as of right now!

Paul
www.paulkump.com
youtube channel
www.jussymusic.com
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:55 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Yeah, it's worth it. I haven't had the chance to make another video yet, but one will come.

Start with scalpel.

But if you decide you want to play with sarod, Pebber has a great video where he explains how to get the motion down before using a guitar.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:35 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Paul-

Quit eating solid food for 30 days and ONLY drink coffee. Then practice Sarod picking 10hrs a day for those 30 days.
At the end of 30 days you can go to the store - but only to buy more coffee and bathroom supplies.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:39 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Pebber's not kidding.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm
by Paul Kump • 12 Posts

I randomly came across agreat example of scalpel picking in action. Search youtube for Babymetal's performance of Gimme Chocolate on the Stephen Colbert show. The cameraman catches scalpel picking at the beginning of the guitar solo roughly 2:30 minutes in. The lead guitarist is supposedly very well known in his home country of Japan as being a virtuoso.

Paul
www.paulkump.com
youtube channel
www.jussymusic.com
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
255 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia