RE: Tapping Thread

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:57 am
by TheCraft • 5 Posts

Thank you for the lesson, Ursin! For quite some time I've wanted to learn all about this 'outside playing' you are reffering to.
So please keep those ideas coming! Not only tapping related.

Also, where can I learn more about it? I hope Pebber covers it in his lessons, I would like to hear his twist on it.
I'm sure it goes way beyond blue notes and such.
Some of my favourite prog bands do it, but what exactly is happening idea- and theorywise?

I think this song is a good example of this. I hope you guys are at least a tad bit into metal, he he.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:12 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

As I stated in the vid, the b5 of the blues scale is only a "gateway" into "outside" playing. Understanding it's use as a passing tone and such. Of course, it's a very LARGE subject as I also said.

As Howard Roberts once said, you can make anything work over anything.

I would suggest learning the chromatic scale and drilling that a lot every day.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/UrsinDeRoche
YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:48 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Here's another attempt at the forward roll, plus my first attempt at the full roll. (Next up will be the California roll.)

Still can't quite manage the quick left-hand changes for the first one, and the second... well, it sounds sort of weedy and underconfident.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:00 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: Cliff wrote in post #30
Here's another attempt at the forward roll, plus my first attempt at the full roll. (Next up will be the California roll.)

Still can't quite manage the quick left-hand changes for the first one, and the second... well, it sounds sort of weedy and underconfident.

Good job! Nice Jackson. Add some delay. Maybe some reverb. Your sound is very dry and usually delay makes all this legato stuff sound (not better) but cooler.

Regardless of that, you have the technique. Now keep doing TRILLS every day to strengthen the fret hand and work with the metronome to increase the speed. Good work. It's getting better. I see progress.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Thanks, Ursin - I really appreciate the feedback. And glad you like the guitar :).

I think I see progress too - never as much as I would like - but progress nonetheless. I'll be sure to add the delay next time.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:43 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Quick tapping video. two finger

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: deltadiscos wrote in post #33
Quick tapping video. two finger

When you do the tritone lick you have to move when you get to the B string. Watch my vid again. Getting closer. Slow it down and make sure all the notes are clear.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:11 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

My latest tapping venture:

Beginning to realize how important the trills are to get strong fingers, and therefore stay in time!

I feel like I'm getting closer on the first harmonic minor lick, but the full roll is still kicking my ass.

At the end there's a slow attempt at part of Spanish fly - mainly to practice switching strings with no noise.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:20 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: Cliff wrote in post #35
My latest tapping venture:

Beginning to realize how important the trills are to get strong fingers, and therefore stay in time!

I feel like I'm getting closer on the first harmonic minor lick, but the full roll is still kicking my ass.

At the end there's a slow attempt at part of Spanish fly - mainly to practice switching strings with no noise.

This is coming around. Better tone in this vid. You said the full roll was giving you problems. Take each fragment and play it for 10 minutes straight without stopping. If your hand starts hurting just take it down really slow and keep going. I think there are 4 arpeggios in the sequence? So that would be 40 minutes. If you do that every day for a while, you will be getting where you want to be.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:22 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Will do. Thanks Ursin.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:09 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Listening back to some of the other tapping posts on this thread, I feel pretty humbled. Still, as Pebber said, each of us is really competing against ourselves. That's good news for me: I suck, so it should be easy to be better than me :).

Anyway, here's my latest attempt at the full roll. Still a long way to go, but I like to think I can hear some progress:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:43 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Some great videos, I was interested to see some of the original posts, but they looked like they were removed. Lots of stuff to peruse.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:36 pm
by Tom (deleted)

FWIW, I once asked myfrind on this and he says whe he taps EVH 1-finger stuff, he taps downwards. All other cases upwards. He's one heck of a tapper. Just a mention in case anyone were thinking that same thing.

Scroll up

RE: Chapman Stick

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:11 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

The Chapman Stick is a fantastic thing. I know Emmet Chapman and one of the best
players on that instrument - Rick Cucuzza. Even my teacher Russ Tuttle used to bring
a Chapman Stick to guitar class at Dick Grove on occasion to freak us out. Emmet Chapman
used to play lots of gigs around LA and it was always really really interesting music.
That being said - I am more intrigued by the next generation of tap instruments -
The MOBIUS MEGATAR. Those guys took the idea of yheChapman stick and pushed it even further!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 am
by Tom (deleted)

I YouTube'd that Chapman Stick. I fear my brain would explode if I had to somehow conceive the notion of playing both the bass-notes and the melody. Probably be one heck of a workout upstairs though.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:32 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Tom thats what a piano player does defo possible, its the price of the things that scares me..

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:13 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

You don't actually *need* a Chapman Stick to do that sort of thing:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:36 am
by Tom (deleted)

Bad-ass tapping from 1965:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:19 am
by uderoche (deleted)

^ Very famous performance. That's Vittorio Camardese. He was a part time musician and full time radiologist in Italy who worked at a hospital in Rome. I don't think he did anything other than this performance that I know of. But he seemed to be a super bad ass mofo!

Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
366 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly