applying learned techniques musically

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:17 pm
by jbrad • 2 Posts

hi everyone, i am new to the forum and i am certainly happy to be apart of it. i am seriously considering investing in pebbers lessons because i have reached a point in my playing that i just cant seem to get out of. i have just recently been applying the practice modules and really have been putting in the time. my main concerns are these: all of these practice exercises will undoubtedly make me a better technical guitarist; but will that translate into better playing? i dont want to waste all of this time and wind up being VERY good at chromatic scales and picking, and have my playing not benefit from it. i guess my main concern is that i dont want to waste all of the time that i have to invest in pebbers practice modules, and wind up not really getting any better. i want to take the technical aspects that the practice modules are teaching me, and apply them to my improvisation and song writing. all in all, i want to become a BETTER GUITARIST!

Scroll up

RE: applying learned techniques musically

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:35 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

"i dont want to waste all of this time and wind up being VERY good at chromatic scales and picking" You need to re-evaluate your priorities then dude...Check out chopins piano concerto in A minor...My pointy being...that the chromatic scale is very musical IIIIFFFFFFFFF you understand it..check it out dawg...songsterr.com/a/wsa/frederic-chopin-piano-piece-in-a-minor-tab-s35983t0

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:47 pm

If you are not already really good at picking and playing the chromatic scale...then you have not yet learned the techniques...so how can you expect yourself to apply them?!?

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:49 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Well, I think that what the original poster is saying has merit; He wants to get better at guitar technique, but wants useful, melodic sounding things to play that will help him with the music he plays. The many variations of 1-2-3-4 don't always appeal to everyone...

http://www.scottkerrmusic.com
http://www.youtube.com/Scottulus
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:40 pm

That is a fair point I guess...there is a significant chasm bewtween beeing in a place were 1-2-3-4 can used as an exercise and being in a place were 1-2-3-4 lends itself towards melody.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Last edited Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:41 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:41 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: jbrad wrote in post #1
hi everyone, i am new to the forum and i am certainly happy to be apart of it. i am seriously considering investing in pebbers lessons because i have reached a point in my playing that i just cant seem to get out of. i have just recently been applying the practice modules and really have been putting in the time. my main concerns are these: all of these practice exercises will undoubtedly make me a better technical guitarist; but will that translate into better playing? i dont want to waste all of this time and wind up being VERY good at chromatic scales and picking, and have my playing not benefit from it. i guess my main concern is that i dont want to waste all of the time that i have to invest in pebbers practice modules, and wind up not really getting any better. i want to take the technical aspects that the practice modules are teaching me, and apply them to my improvisation and song writing. all in all, i want to become a BETTER GUITARIST!

Tough question to answer. Why don't you watch this video. Follow along and practice with the video. Do this for a few weeks. This will let you know if this is something you want to get into. Regardless, I think Pebber can teach a little something to everyone. If your goal is to get better at guitar, I'd say you've come to the right place. But "getting better at guitar" may be different for different people depending on your personal definition of "getting better at guitar." I really don't know what level you're at until I can see a video of you playing.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:45 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:57 pm

It only seems fair to offer as a disclaimer: That module 1 stuff will make you a good picker...So if you are fearful of becoming a quick picker Beware module 1.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:38 pm
by jbrad • 2 Posts

thanks for all the answers guys. i definitely feel like im in the right place for improving my playing. i dont disagree with the fact that i could certainly improve my picking. i just want to be sure that i can then use my newly trained skills to do something other than do really well at practicing my picking ya no? i guess there is only one way to find out! practice practice practice... i want to be able to play fast pentatonic runs and once i am at the correct skill level i would like to delve into the world of metal

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:46 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Pebber has TONS and TONS of stuff about the pentatonic scale. This should get you started.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:04 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Everyone's technique fuckin sucks big time. All the exercises, whether they are chromatic scales or picking were all developed over a 35 year TEACHING period. I have heard literally hundreds of guys who all say the same thing - but they fuckin SUCK and cant play the way they want because they dont go back to the basics and work on their technique. Technique is the answer to everyones problem. If you have shitty technique you will always have problems trying to play anything skillful. There are no shortcuts, just like there is no shortcut to becoming a Black Belt.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 199 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: