Scalpel picking thoughts.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 am
by mjs4x6 • 2 Posts

I have been watching Pebber's videos for years and have purchased the 3 DVDs on picking. The thing with scalpel picking is that Pebber makes it look so easy. After about 6 months of working on this, I am starting to see the light. At some point, it has started to become easier for me to do this and I feel like the pick is gliding over the very top of the string with great ease and speed. This is not a plucking feeling but more like a feeling of gracefully causing the string to vibrate. It takes very little effort and as the speed increases, the motions become smaller and tend to morph into what I imagine is sarod picking. Does this sound familiar to you all? Also, the feeling of playing on the very top of the string makes topics pick-slanting, angling the pick, inside picking, outside picking, etc. seem unnecessary. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Scroll up

RE: Scalpel picking thoughts.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:24 am
by deltadiscos • 313 Posts

Yes i find that with scalpel, pulling the thumb and finger in naturally turned the wrist, which becomes sarod picking.

My only problem has always been trailing finger hitting unwanted strings, i need to pull those fingers in tighter, or adjust the pick position.

Never thought about pick slanting until i watched troy grady on youtube, but found that i clearly have a tendency toward downward slanting, which makes upward picking difficult.

But at the end of the day you can pick anyway you want, if you put some serious hours into it you will get good. Some guitarist have horrible looking picking action (methany, moore,michael angelo batio) But they can shred with the best.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Dutchjohn
guest counter
Today were 59 (yesterday 134) guests and 3 (yesterday 3) members online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 841 topics and 7900 posts.

3 members have been online today:
Brian, David A Rose, Dutchjohn