Scalpel picking thoughts.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 am
by mjs4x6 • 3 Posts

I have been watching Pebber's videos for years and have purchased the 3 DVDs on picking. The thing with scalpel picking is that Pebber makes it look so easy. After about 6 months of working on this, I am starting to see the light. At some point, it has started to become easier for me to do this and I feel like the pick is gliding over the very top of the string with great ease and speed. This is not a plucking feeling but more like a feeling of gracefully causing the string to vibrate. It takes very little effort and as the speed increases, the motions become smaller and tend to morph into what I imagine is sarod picking. Does this sound familiar to you all? Also, the feeling of playing on the very top of the string makes topics pick-slanting, angling the pick, inside picking, outside picking, etc. seem unnecessary. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Scroll up

RE: Scalpel picking thoughts.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:24 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Yes i find that with scalpel, pulling the thumb and finger in naturally turned the wrist, which becomes sarod picking.

My only problem has always been trailing finger hitting unwanted strings, i need to pull those fingers in tighter, or adjust the pick position.

Never thought about pick slanting until i watched troy grady on youtube, but found that i clearly have a tendency toward downward slanting, which makes upward picking difficult.

But at the end of the day you can pick anyway you want, if you put some serious hours into it you will get good. Some guitarist have horrible looking picking action (methany, moore,michael angelo batio) But they can shred with the best.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:07 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Guys!

I am late to the party, but I felt compelled to chime in on a few things:

1) Scalpel Picking uses the thumb and index finger only (no elbow, forearm, or wrist). Sarod picking is loose; incorporates the wrist (like opening a jar of peanut butter). In my opinion, it's definitely a good thing to adapt a hybrid approach (using different techniques in different situations). Based on my personal progress, the best way to learn and/or refine your Scalpel Picking technique is to practice on any strings except the low or high "E" strings. This will force you to keep your movements tighter. I learned this technique while practicing tremolo exercises in my Classical/Flamenco Guitar pursuits. Deltadiscos mentioned something else that is key: Try to keep your remaining fingers pulled in. This is the technique that Pebber teaches. Of course, we can all sight hundreds of examples of some of the most popular guitarists who utilize different techniques (like anchoring with the pinky, for example). In the end, we will use whatever techniques are most comfortable, which brings me to my next comments...

2) Troy Grady is NOT doing people any favors by dissecting how everyone and their mother picks a guitar; especially with that "pick-slanting" NONSENSE! Hey, Troy is a great guitar player, and I give the guy respect for putting in the effort,,,but in the end, all he does is confuse the heck out of people. It's picking diagnosis OVERKILL.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:45 am
by alc0 • 4 Posts

Wow Adam...

"Based on my personal progress, the best way to learn and/or refine your Scalpel Picking technique is to practice on any strings except the low or high "E" strings. This will force you to keep your movements tighter."

THIS is HUGE advice for me! Thanks!

The low E string seems especially wacky to me, now that I'm paying more attention to technical work. With quicker playing, I have to anticipate hitting that big ol' stubborn rubber band, or it's a trip-wire to my pick, and I lose the pentatonic "run" or whatnot.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:25 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

You want to see how accurate and fast Troy Grady's pick slanting is?
Then put a PIECE OF SHEET MUSIC in front of him!!!! Ahh ha ha ha ha!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:09 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

I rest my case.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:28 pm
by Cleudi Martins • 24 Posts

I don't know if this will help you, but from what I know (and I might be wrong on this one), the D string is the one that have the most tension on the neck.

Because of that I tend to practice my picking exercises on it. Sometimes I even play closer to the bridge so I have to work a bit harder. Usually, this trick makes me improve a bit faster, but maybe this is just me.

I've never heard anyone trying this before. So, if you test this, please send a message so I can see how it goes. Here in Brazil we have some weird techniques that sometimes works like a charm. Just to point an example, in the 80's some guys used to play with elastic hair ties (I think this is what you guys call it?) on their left hand fingers to have some kind of resistance to work the muscles on the hand.

It worked greatly for them, I've never tried myself though. But the word of caution is: don't strain or put some "heavy" resistance or you will develop some kind of pain or tendonitis.

Maybe some other time I can show you guys this weird stuff. Don't know if in USA you guys have something similar.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
494 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly