Help with Picking Technique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:55 am
by aethermachine • 33 Posts

So these are my first ever video uploads, they aren't very good, the pick didn't seem to want to stay in my hand today, kept getting snags here and there, then again I tend to get anxiety when I record. I know I need a lot of work. I am indeed laying down flat on my back, it makes it a bit harder to play but I'm adjusting to it. I have a pinched nerve in my lumbar spine and I can't sit up to play without experiencing intense pain. I am seeing a surgeon and hopefully I will be in better health soon.

I'm worried that I've been picking the wrong way for far too long, I don't do scalpel picking, just standard alternate picking. I'm trying to use my thumb and index finger and less of my wrist, I also use my pinky to help form a bridge and keep me steady.

In one of Pebber's videos I heard him say that using your pinky in this fashion is OKAY, and I correct on this? Also, does he prefer that his students always use scalpel picking or is regular alternate picking an acceptable alternative? Thank you for the feedback.

(16th notes 100bpm)

(8th notes 100bpm)

Scroll up

RE: Help with Picking Technique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:04 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hi,

I should not put your pinky like because it will give you problems at higher tempos IMHO. Than you should try as well to angle your pick a bit more (between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock).

Scalpel picking is quite easy to learn and a good way of playing. If you start at a low tempo (40-50 bpm) after 2 weeks it becomes natural and its a real recomendation.

Keep up the good work

A lack of afford is a lack of result!
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:44 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the Forum! First of all, I think most of us get nervous when the cameras are on and/or the stage lights kick on...I know I do! However, we persevere, and often the end result is much better than we expected.

Case in point? Your videos were great: Nice, clean picking. The timing was right on the money. I am sorry to hear about your back pain and related issues. Hope you get better!

Here are a couple of things I feel really need to be addressed:

Quote: aethermachine wrote in post #1
I'm worried that I've been picking the wrong way for far too long, I don't do scalpel picking, just standard alternate picking. I'm trying to use my thumb and index finger and less of my wrist, I also use my pinky to help form a bridge and keep me steady.

In one of Pebber's videos I heard him say that using your pinky in this fashion is OKAY, and I correct on this? Also, does he prefer that his students always use scalpel picking or is regular alternate picking an acceptable alternative? Thank you for the feedback.

I've known Pebber for years, and I assure you that the only thing Pebber prefers when it comes to picking is to never get too hung up on one picking technique as the "best way" to pick. Use whatever is most comfortable for YOU,,,no matter what anyone else tries to tell you. The picking technique for strumming chords is different from running scales. Then there is sweep picking & economy picking. Oh yeah, then we have hybrid & swybrid. Oops, let's not forget about Sarod picking, either!

Do you feel comfortable using your right-hand pinky to "brace" against the guitar body? That's a very common technique I have seen used by Kirk Hammett, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Randy Rhoads. The point is that you will find world famous guitarists of all genres who all use their own different techniques.

Bottom-Line: The more techniques you can master, the more diverse of a guitarist you will become.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:46 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

really like to read your advice adam! this forum is really interesting now after you started writing/helping people! thanks man!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:23 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

great vid timing ok. on the pinky personally i would try not to anchor held my picking back for years (or could of been lack of focused practice?) but as adam said there a lot of great guitarist who do this, just looks uncomfortable to me and much neater with pinky tucked in.
on scalpal you need to over emphasize more really get that sawing motion going if its a picking style you want to pursue
I also noticed you seem to do it backward?
what i mean is you are going through the strings this way / instead of this way \

But hey what ever works for you.
is you back pain guitar related ? hope you better soon bud

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word

Last edited Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:24 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:35 pm
by aethermachine • 33 Posts

I am actually holding the pick at a backwards angle rather than a forward one, I can do it both ways but I prefer to angle the pick toward me and then about 30 degree angle. I think the pinky thing is one of those natural habits you get into as a beginner because it steady's your hand, and I had a few short term guitar lessons here and there and it was never corrected so I just stuck with it, it feels comfortable to me and I am starting to pick my speed up a little bit, though I don't practice nearly as much as I should be. If I cap out at a certain speed, I may try changing my picking style, but honestly I don't think I have a musical NEED at this point to play 16th notes at 200 bpm. Right now I want to focus on progressions, theory, playing the right notes at the right time, being capable of playing rhythm but also busting out a decent solo.

Big inspirations for me are at the moment are David Gilmour and Alex Lifeson, I just like the fact that they are well rounded guitarists who can write interesting songs and can also play a mean lead (which in Alex's case he has to being the only guitarist, I mean how great is Rush!?) The back pain started earlier this year and just progressed and got worse and worse, I failed a nerve conduction study so my nerves are being compressed somehow in my lumbar spine, but a cat scan showed I have no major herniation in any of my discs, so right now I'm out of work and going through some physical therapy, hopefully it does the trick.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Edit: The pain isn't guitar related, but strapping on a guitar for a period of time doesn't feel too great. I'm sure its something hereditary, the men in my families have horrible backs, and scoliosis is common with us. Thank you genes! :/

Last edited Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:37 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:47 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Jon,

You really seem to have the right attitude, and that is so refreshing! Keep doing what feels comfortable to you and focus on those things you mentioned (progressions, theory, timing).

As far as the back, I am actually relieved that you are going the physical therapy route. I had a similar issue in my upper back, at the base of my neck. Thanks to Pebber's advice, I found a chiropractor who performs kinesiology muscle testing and acupuncture. Within 4 months, I was 100%.

Whatever the case may be, we are all pulling for you, Bro!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
483 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly