Jazz Guitar Books

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:58 pm
by BluesJwot • 8 Posts

Can anyone recommend me some good Jazz guitar books on playing, theory ect. I've token an interest in jazz guitar playing recently; I've only been playing guitar for 2 years (I'm 17) and I'm now working on my grades but I usually play rock and blues stuff. I want to learn jazz chords, scales, theory ect and it would be great if someone could give some advice/recommendations on which book/books to buy (I tend to learn more about chords, scales ect from books but I use the internet for learning songs)

Cheers for reading!

Scroll up

RE: Jazz Guitar Books

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:56 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey BluesJwot,

I started recently with a course from Dick Groove which I can highly recommend. This is called a musicianship course this course is on theory and gets into Jazz. Even Pebber and many other great musicians has done this course. Than there is on the same site also a guitar course which is called Beyond Chops this seems to be a great course as well. It starts with learning all the Pent scales but soon goes into chords and its inversions, improvisation etc. The only sad thing is both courses are not cheap but they come with DVD's and CD's and some books. It's all written in the 90's so a bit old but again the material is very good and highly recommended not only by me but by a lot of other professional musicians.

take a look at the below link

Dick Grove School Without Walls

If you have more questions feel free to ask here or drop me a mail I could show you a sample.

p.s. let me know if you ordered something and will start doing the course it would be fun to open a thread on it and share stuff we learn and ask questions to eachother.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:05 am
by BluesJwot • 8 Posts

The courses sound great! If I had the money I would do the courses but at the moment I don't. I'll probably do the courses in a year or two because I will have the money by then.
Iv'e ordered this: Complete Jazz Guitar Method: Mastering Jazz Guitar-Jody Fischer), I'll let you know once I have the book.

Cheers for the reply!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:06 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Dude did you buy those books????

Im not pro hacking and Pirateting but check this search on google.

Jazz Guitar Method

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:58 pm
by BluesJwot • 8 Posts

Yeah, that's the one man!jazz gutitar.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:07 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

I have Volume 1 and 2 just without the audio cd's. Both books seem to be very interesting I wish you lots of fun with it. Post some of your progress here from time to time

p.s. Are you also follow Pebbers Practice Routine?

Last edited Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:14 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:17 am
by BluesJwot • 8 Posts

I've just found out about Pebber Brown a week ago by watching his videos (Practice Routine) and they've helped my picking alot

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:51 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello BluesJwot, and Welcome to the Forum!

Recently, Pebber was kind enough to send me a wonderful gift: "Jazz Practice Ideas With Your Real Book" by Andy McWain. It is marketed and written for Beginner to Intermediate levels of Jazz students and covers subjects like melodic lines, arpeggios, harmony, and then gets into transcribing, ear training, and even composition!

Of course, I highly recommend you get yourself the most up-to-date REAL BOOK and start taking a crack at some of the tunes in there. This will keep your learning fun and challenging, plus it will help you set some goals in terms of learning a certain passage or an entire song.

I also recommend ANYTHING guitar-related by Aebersold Publications, particularly Barry Galbraith's Jazz Guitar Study Series.

Finally, I suggest that you download Pebber's "Daily Practice Routine" and all related .PDF's from this website. Pebber has a program for paying students with everything set up in a way that, in my opinion, pretty much guarantees success, as long as the student puts in the work. If paid lessons are not something in the picture for you at the moment, no worries! Pebber has HUNDREDS of free YouTube videos - many of which correspond with the "Daily Practice Routine."

Always remember: You are now part of a Forum where people really want you to do well, and we are all here to learn from each other and help each other as much as possible! Again, welcome, and I hope you stick around!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:14 am
by BluesJwot • 8 Posts

Cheers for the advice Ray1981 and Adam! I will defiantly look into that book Adam. The Daily Practice routine videos and PDF's are bloody brilliant; I've downloaded the Intermediate Root 6 & Root 5 Bar Chords, Nomenclature of Chords and Basic Chord Families because I'm working on my music theory.

Last edited Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:15 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:18 pm
by BluesJwot • 8 Posts

Jazz lick I learned today; my picking is getting better but I still need to work on it, same as my speed and timing . You might already know it but if you want to learn it here's a photo with tab/notation.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 fast bebop lick.png 

Last edited Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:25 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:14 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey very very cool man

Now try play this dorian scale with a backing track. Check the one below I like this one a lot (So What Miles Davis).

Dm7 16 bars -> play the D-Dorian (hint the first 6 tones are right away the melody lick)
Ebm7 8 bars -> Play the E-Dorian and play the lick as in D
Dm7 8 bars

this is really swinging IMHO

I hope you like it

Last edited Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:14 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:32 pm
by BluesJwot • 8 Posts

Miles David is great! I like it!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:22 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey Adam

I missed your reply completely last time silly me. But you recommend some nice books I will have search on those. I got. Lately I started to work on improv and learning tunes after following module 1 and 2 for about 14 months without really learning a lot songs. Now I spend much more time on songs .

ut Im very confused about Real Books and Fake books, whats so real and fake and which to use? There a lot of those books different keys and differnt versions. So maybe you or anybody els could recommend one to us?

Anybody nows where to buy this book in PDF: Jazz Practice Ideas With Your Real Book. I found Amazon but has only in Kindle or hardcopy.

Thanks in advance

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:05 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hey Guys!

I am going to follow up with BluesJwot and Ray in this post:

Quote: BluesJwot wrote in post #10
Jazz lick I learned today; my picking is getting better but I still need to work on it, same as my speed and timing . You might already know it but if you want to learn it here's a photo with tab/notation.
WOW! I really enjoy that lick, and your picking & left-hand technique look very good. I am going to have to give that one a go, as well. My only suggestion would be adding a metronome to your video posts like this, or even a snippet of a backing track, like that backing track Ray was so kind to post for you. Hey man, keep up the great work!

Quote: Ray1981 wrote in post #13
Im very confused about Real Books and Fake books, whats so real and fake and which to use?
Real Books and Fake Books contain sheet music (and in some cases, the lyrics, too) for jazz standards. These were created for jazz musicians to study at home and to also take with them to gigs, so they could sit in with their peers. You can get by with both books, however; the Real Books are considered more reliable. The Fake Books have been found to contain more discrepancies. Until recently, both types were "illegal," because the songwriters did not receive royalties for their reprinted sheet music. Fake Books are still illegal, but Hal Leonard now distributes the Real Books. There are also the New Real Books, and in my opinion, the New Real Books are printed in better quality compared to the others.

There a lot of those books different keys and differnt versions. So maybe you or anybody els could recommend one to us?
With all of these books, you want the versions printed in the Key of C, because these are for guitarists. The other keys (Bb, Eb, and Bass Clef) are for other instruments. As of today, the most recent edition of the Real Book is the 6th Edition. Google searches can help sort all of this out, as well.

Anybody nows where to buy this book in PDF: Jazz Practice Ideas With Your Real Book. I found Amazon but has only in Kindle or hardcopy.
I have the Kindle version, so I am not sure about where to download a .PDF version.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:28 am
by BluesJwot • 8 Posts

Cheers for the advice, I will use one when I upload new videos to keep me in time. I've ben listening to alot of Holdsworth recently, he is probably one of my favourite guitarist's at the moment!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:21 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

He Adam

Thanks for the clear response, I think I will have to o for the Kindle version I havent found any legal pdf version.

Cool thread though!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:17 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello Everyone!

Just to be clear: I never advocate pirating or the illegal downloading of anything. I recently walked away from my corporate career in order to focus more on my music, and I am finding that it is extremely difficult to do this. Not only that, but artists and writers do not work for free. So if a publisher or a record label isn't paid, the artists and writers certainly will not be paid.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:33 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Fully agree on you Adam!!!!

Pirating kills the industry which result in less great music (or any other form of art), this is one of the reason why I still buy original albums instead of downloading.

BTW, yesterday I bought the Practicing Ideas with the Real Book. I wanted it in PDF so I could print it for myself Kindle doesnt allow you to do. I like to have the sheet music on my stand instead of on a pc screen or Tables. But this book dont have a lot of musical example its a lot of text. But a very good book though.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:14 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: Ray1981 wrote in post #18
BTW, yesterday I bought the Practicing Ideas with the Real Book. I wanted it in PDF so I could print it for myself Kindle doesnt allow you to do. I like to have the sheet music on my stand instead of on a pc screen or Tables.
Yes, I completely agree! I always prefer having my charts & graphs in .PDF for the exact same reason. However, there is a way to create such a document in Windows :

First, you find the page you want to turn into a .PDF, and you hit the Print Scrn ("Print Screen") button. Then, you open up Paint and hit Ctrl V ("Control V"), which should paste everything. Finally, you can crop anything that doesn't belong on your new document, and then simply save the file. After that, you can print it right up!

**PLEASE NOTE: Sometimes it might be necessary to "save" as soon as you first paste everything in Windows Paint. Then, you can re-open the file in Windows Paint again, and that is when you can crop, save, and print.

I hope this helps, my friend!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:36 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Thanks Adam

Great idea, I was aware of this possibility and thought I have to do it like that. Now I see you do this too sometimes maybe you like this freeware program called greenshot. You can select the area which you want to copy and you can choose with one click where you would like it to copy to. So you could send it straight to word for example. It is really a great program for such things.

Greenshot

I hope I have helped you too ;)

Last edited Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:37 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:32 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: Ray1981 wrote in post #20
Great idea, I was aware of this possibility and thought I have to do it like that. Now I see you do this too sometimes maybe you like this freeware program called greenshotGreenshot
Hi Ray!

Based on your last post, you made it clear that you were looking for a way to create a .PDF file off of your Kindle pages. Now you are stating that you already know how to do this

Actually, I have never had any difficulties finding proper sheet music. I was only trying to offer some advice to you, because you were looking for a .PDF of any of the examples I provided in my initial response. Perhaps something was lost in translation.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:46 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Well its easier to have the pdf allready instead of making screenshots. That was the only reason I was searching for the pdf.

My apologizes Adam!!!!!!

Last edited Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:06 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
69 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly