Music Theory: Intervals

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:31 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Hello all,

I certainly go through periods of failing communication, don't I? One might think I'd gone over the hills and...I digress.

Lately I've been working on my theory, mapping intervals of the C Major scale on every string. I've done one whole octave, and will add 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths. I'm not sure how common the other items are but those will get me going for now. Though I might like to map them all anyway.

This is just another great exercise for learning theory (intervals) while simultaneously memorizing the fingerboard. As with all things guitar, the entire system is movable, and the only changes are the note names.

I find with this exercise I'm going all cerebral. Thinking things like, "The 9th interval of C1 is D2," and other such things.

Actually (here we go), as I wrote that my head thought out, "...and the 11th interval is F2, and the 13th is A2." Then I soaked in that for a minute and then realized the 9th, 11th, and 13th intervals of the C Major scale spell a D minor chord. That should have been obvious to me (2, 4, and 6 are the Dm) but that's another way to think of it.

There's a lot of activity going on here. I need to set a fixed time each week to do some recording and get in on this. DADGAD threads, honestly! Adam what are you doing to me, man!

Scroll up

RE: Music Theory: Intervals

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:51 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey Fareli good to see you coming back

Verry cool your comment seems like you get it, all those intervals. If your close to a piano or keyboard you should play those intervals. I mean play with the left hand the C and right hand Dmin. It is a wonderfull chord I dont know how they call it but it has a wonderfull sound.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:04 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: Farelli wrote in post #1
I certainly go through periods of failing communication, don't I? One might think I'd gone over the hills and...I digress.
Ahhh, but like me, I would almost bet that you are filling those "periods of failing communication" with a lot of guitar practice and study; especially after reading this post regarding your interval mapping....WOW!

Lately I've been working on my theory, mapping intervals of the C Major scale on every string. I've done one whole octave, and will add 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths. I'm not sure how common the other items are but those will get me going for now. Though I might like to map them all anyway.

This is just another great exercise for learning theory (intervals) while simultaneously memorizing the fingerboard. As with all things guitar, the entire system is movable, and the only changes are the note names.
Sounds like we've got a new thread topic!: The Interval Mapping Thread Why not get it started? If you could, please post a video showing how you map out intervals of a C-Major scale and encourage others to post a video of them mapping intervals of other scales. That would be awesome, and it would encourage other Forum Members (present and future) to get involved. I would definitely get in on this, too!

There's a lot of activity going on here. I need to set a fixed time each week to do some recording and get in on this. DADGAD threads, honestly! Adam what are you doing to me, man!
You definitely help keep the activity alive, so thank you for taking the time to share and post with us. Dude, I would LOVE to see a DADGAD video from you! Rock on, my friend!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:57 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Quote: Adam wrote in post #3
Sounds like we've got a new thread topic!: The Interval Mapping Thread Why not get it started? If you could, please post a video showing how you map out intervals of a C-Major scale and encourage others to post a video of them mapping intervals of other scales. That would be awesome, and it would encourage other Forum Members (present and future) to get involved. I would definitely get in on this, too!

Good idea. I should be able to get that done this weekend.

Quote: Adam wrote in post #3
You definitely help keep the activity alive, so thank you for taking the time to share and post with us. Dude, I would LOVE to see a DADGAD video from you! Rock on, my friend!!!

I could noodle around with that, but I'm sort of loving E Phrygian, so maybe an EABEBE video would be better. Or both.

But maybe later. I could easily run afoul of standard tuning and forget that I'm trying to master it.

Last edited Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:59 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:13 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: Farelli wrote in post #4

I could noodle around with that, but I'm sort of loving E Phrygian, so maybe an EABEBE video would be better. Or both. But maybe later. I could easily run afoul of standard tuning and forget that I'm trying to master it.
That's a GREAT idea, Farelli! If you do decide to post something in "Open E" EABEBE, then please create a separate thread for that.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:25 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Open tunings are on the outs with me lately. Need to do much more work with the standard.

Latest project is mapping out all Scaletone Forms of the melodic and harmonic minor scales. This is hammering into my head where all the 3's and 6's are, as well as helping me with the other notes on the board.

I am saying the note names as I write the scale degree on a 5-neck chart. It's really helping.

Then last night I spent about an hour playing each in scaletone 7, all forms, against a G minor backing track. I just put it on loop and when nuts for a while. My thumb is weak as hell for holding those spread positions! I'll be working on that regularly to build it up.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
520 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly