Relative minor question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:05 pm
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

I've recently started working on the 14 pos in G major. I know that the relative minor of G maj is E min. Would I playing the Emin scale if I started at the 6th tone (E as my root instead of G) of the Gmaj scale and played the next 7 tones? Am I on track or am I way off base?

Scroll up

RE: Relative minor question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:14 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

yes that is correct its how all the modes are formed

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:52 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

You're right on the money, but getting ahead of yourself. I do the same thing, and it's very easy to get off track.

When I'm working on my theory right now it's better for me to stick exclusively on the major scale and worry about the rest later.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:29 pm
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

Just figured as long as I'm there might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:19 am

stick an Eminor backing on and play a g major get that minor sound, then try g major over a Aminor backing and get a dorian sound. its all relative to the chords being played but you are on the right track.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:01 pm
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

So if i were to move the 1st position of Gmaj 2 frets up the neck I would be playing A maj? If this is so then I could move that 1st position anywhere on the neck and be playing the equivalent scale? And if this is true I would only need to learn 14 positions and be able to play in any scale?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:15 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Yes, that's absolutely right!

That's the simplicity of the guitar. All patterns are repeatable and moving them on the board simply changes the key.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:34 am

You mean play in any key. but yes if you have learnt the caged system, you will see that the root notes never change you just move the scales around them.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:06 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

The goal is to know the neck well enough to be able to play in any key from a single location.
Download the Circle of 5ths/12 pos system and taht has it all there.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:44 am
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

I think I had a moment of discovery this morning. If I use Pos 1, the 6th tone will be on the d string. So in my mind if I'm playing position 1 i can always figure out my relative minor by my index finger on the d string and then my relative major would be the low e string where my middle finger is. Hopefully the gurus here can confirm or correct me if I'm wrong.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
418 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly