Proper picking direction

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 am
by sammydee • 7 Posts

I have watched the video on picking technique a few times. From what I understand the salient points are:

Keep it loose
Keep the wrist almost still and let the finger/thumb forwards/backwards movement do all the work
Keep the pick at a 1o clock angle to the strings

Here's the thing, I can follow those rules and there are still two possible ways I can move the pick. Kinda sideways or kinda lengthways. I have attached a diagram to illustrate what I mean. I have always done it the way illustrated in number 1 but is the other way better?

Thanks
Sam

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 scalpel picking which direction.PNG 
Scroll up

RE: Proper picking direction

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:27 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

second way defo my picking speed has at least doubled over exaggerate the scapel motion to start with if you need.. and from what i've found is this will lead to your wrist coming in at certain speeds sarod ...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:53 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

WOW - one GUY WHO FINALLY GETS THE WHOLE ESSENCE OF IT!! Way to go Delta!!! When TRAINING on a technique you always over exaggerate the movement to really lock it down in your subconscious mind! I thought my videos made it clear but I guess I didnt really explain that right.

On the original "picking video" question that was described - there is no one "video" - there are more than 40 of them all up there some with VERY close up details with a POV camera. Its quite obvious from your diagram that you DID NOT watch any of THEM (PLURAL!)!!!!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:28 pm
by sammydee • 7 Posts

Chill pebber dude.

I've been working through the videos from oldest to newest so the only ones I saw were the oldest, where (I presume) you first explain the technique. I just wanted to clear up some confusion real fast and I knew someone could answer in five seconds if I posted here, rather than (potentially) wait hours before hitting the exact right video with the right close up.

Isn't that what forums are for?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Zitat von pebberbrown
WOW - one GUY WHO FINALLY GETS THE WHOLE ESSENCE OF IT!! Way to go Delta!!!

Cheers Pebber although I do feel a little like teachers pet now

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:56 pm
by AJ G • 1 Post

Good Shot Sammy, gave Delta a perfect opportunity for simple and illuminating response. Excellent I can no stop my search through all the "picking" videos, which often contain highly valued commentary and insight to the task at hand: Sounding a bit better than yesterday. Con Safos

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Zitat von sammydee
Chill pebber dude.

I've been working through the videos from oldest to newest so the only ones I saw were the oldest, where (I presume) you first explain the technique. I just wanted to clear up some confusion real fast and I knew someone could answer in five seconds if I posted here, rather than (potentially) wait hours before hitting the exact right video with the right close up.

Isn't that what forums are for?

I would discourage telling Pebber to "chill"

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:40 am
by sammydee • 7 Posts

Zitat

Thanks buddy, I feel a little embarrassed now, watched that video three times already and managed every time to miss the important bit in the first 30 seconds where it shows rather obviously exactly how to do it. I guess it's just counter intuitive.

I'm assuming that this technique be applied to acoustic guitar as well as electric?

Sam

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:43 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Ursin knows me well.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
613 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia