Silly Key Question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:35 pm
by Jfed • 8 Posts

There is something that still confuses me when people say what key a song or guitar lick is in. For example, they will say this lick is in the key of A when it's actually A minor which to me I would think they should say C major because that is what would be on the sheet music. Is this just something that people are often wrong about or am I missing something? I hope I'm not asking a really dumb question here. If so just ignore. Thanks.

Scroll up

RE: Silly Key Question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:16 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

I'd say you're correct. If the song or lick is in Am, then it's not in A.

And I'm recently coming around to thinking of something in Am as actually being in Cmaj, just Aeolian.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:27 pm
by Jfed • 8 Posts

Thank you very much for your response. :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:42 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Yes most people are lazy in their definitions of music. A is not Ami but millions of guys play the Ami pentatonic scale and say its in the key of "A." Rock band members and self taught rock guitarists mostly all do this. Stick to RELIABLE printed books!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 28, 2017 9:15 pm
by Hannah Mackrell • 1 Post

Wonderful post and you share excellent content in this post i am happy to comment on this Online Fashion..

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 30, 2017 4:28 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: pebberbrown wrote in post #4
Yes most people are lazy in their definitions of music. A is not Ami but millions of guys play the Ami pentatonic scale and say its in the key of "A." Rock band members and self taught rock guitarists mostly all do this.
Guilty, as charged,,,but that's because I just didn't know any better, or really didn't even care at the time. I could kick myself now, but that was Life "Pre-Pebber." So the sooner you "catch on" to things like knowing the PROPER KEY of a song, the better off you'll be!

By the way, Hannah Mackrell, WELCOME to the Forum!!! We are more than happy to have you and look forward to your valuable questions and input, as well. Remember, the only "silly," or "dumb" question is the one which is not asked! More often than not, somebody else has that exact same question but is afraid to post it, for fear of ridicule.

As administrator, I ASSURE you that any ridiculing will not be tolerated. I want you to feel "at home" and very comfortable. We have a PHENOMENAL cast of characters participating at the moment, and we are all here to encourage and support one another.

THANK YOU for the great question!! You are in the right place, and we'll see you soon, I hope!!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 268 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: