Beginner practice hour question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:06 pm
by muldar3000 • 13 Posts

I'm curious what a seasoned player would recommend for a total newbie with an hour per day to practice? From the videos I've watch thus far here's what I put together. I'm currently doing 5m Alt picking, 5m scalpel & 5m Sarod, 15m on the chromatic scale, then doing about 25m on A minor scales, 5m on songs and doing spider & trills while watching TV later at night. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Scroll up

RE: Beginner practice hour question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:39 pm
by Paul Kump • 12 Posts

You're spreading yourself too thin. Spending five minutes on an exercise or learning a song is probably not enough to make any headway on the exercise or song. An hour is not a lot of time, so don't divide it too much. As a rule of thumb, my minimum block of time is 20 minutes to spend on an exercise and, even then, I don't feel good about only spending 20 minutes on something.

Pebber's preferred picking technique is a combo of scalpel and Sarod. In theory, if you were able to get these techniques down, I suspect learning alternate picking wouldn't benefit you too much. I would do away with practicing alternate picking AND Sarod AND scalpel. Spend 20 minutes on Sarod picking, with 3-to-4 minutes on each string, without fretting anything (see Pebber's Daily Practice Routine Videos). Then, try to double-up on your exercises: Spend 20 minutes on chromatic exercises WITH scalpel picking. Spend the last 20 minutes on scales. As you pointed out, the trills, spiders and ladders are conducive to television zoning-out, so do those then, if you must watch television. Do this for several weeks, and do not change what you are working on. After that, perhaps switch out the 20 minutes on scales with 20 minutes on songs. Do that for several weeks, then switch back.

An hour isn't much, so there will be some compromise (e.g., not learning songs when learning scales, and vice-versa). But don't compromise on the picking exercises.

Paul
www.paulkump.com
youtube channel
www.jussymusic.com

Last edited Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:44 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:48 am
by muldar3000 • 13 Posts

Awesome, thanks so much for the input, I will run with your recommendations

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi muldar3000!

I have always maintained that 10 minutes of practice per day is better than NOT practicing at all. Do whatever feels comfortable to you, but I will say that if all you have is 10 minutes, work on the same exercise, if possible.

Also, for something like Sarod picking, it can take 6 months to a year, or even longer, to really develop it enough where you can incorporate it into your playing.

Some students are able to pick up things a lot quicker than others, but typically, the more time you put in to an exercise or technique, the greater the rewards!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

I think what your doing sounds ok, do you feel your progressing and getting better if so that's fine. If you want you could all ways split things over a couple of days to spend more time on one exercise.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:58 pm
by muldar3000 • 13 Posts

Thanks for the input Adam!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:00 pm
by muldar3000 • 13 Posts

Thanks for the input! I am focusing only on sarod picking, chromatic scales & A minor pent scale and just over the last week feel progress

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:13 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

WHen I was 18 I practiced every day from 9am to 2pm, then made some lunch ad then at 3pm I started
teaching lessons until 8pm then I went to a nightly band practice until about 11 or 12. Where was a night
off from band practice I would practice more scales for 2-3 hrs. Some days when I didnt have any private
lessons I would practice 12 hrs or 13 hrs with a couple of light food breaks. When I was 22 I practiced 14
hours a day on days with no lessons and then on days with lessons I would stop practicng, go teach, then
come back and practice until 3am. WHen you want to be as good as John McLaughln, you have to do what
Mclaughlin does.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 151 (yesterday 452) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: