Left Hand Exercises 5.21-5.23

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:47 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Hello all,

I didn't manage to pull together the first of my "7 Days of 5.XX" videos, but I will.

Meanwhile here is one (at 5:33, apologies Pebber and Adam) showing 5.21, 5.22, and 5.23 at 40-50 bpm using quarter notes, eighth notes, and eighth note triplets.

Scroll up

RE: Left Hand Exercises 5.21-5.23

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:58 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Nice video all looks good to me. Its all about freeing up the hand, you just have to keep working at it, its amazing how hard these were even after 20 years of playing. keep up the good work. Need to get back on these myself.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Farelli!

Left-Hand Form is SPOT-ON, and your timing is excellent (once you dialed in the tempo accordingly). I really like how you were able to make adjustments "on the fly," and quickly dive right back in -- KUDOS to you, Sir!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:56 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Here's a video of just 5.23 showing a bit of progress since Sunday.

I've been reviewing 5.21 and 5.22 for a few reps before focusing on 5.23 more or less exclusively since then.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:45 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

I worked on 5.23 several times yesterday, but ultimately reached the point of fatigue, where I couldn't make my 4th finger hit the right strings reliably above the most moderate speeds.

So I decided to sleep on it and try again today.

First thing this morning, I was able to work up to being able to get through 3-4 runs of eighth notes at 60 bpm, so that's 120 bpm on the 5.23 changes.

I'll work on it some more today and then see where I am tomorrow.

For anyone curious, I am doing basically 10-15 minutes of practice to a metronome, once every couple of hours. I am pushing myself rather hard, so after that short time my fingers start to get a little fatigued and I treat it like a muscular workout.

10-15 minutes of reps
rest
10-15 minutes or reps
rest

etc.

That's also quite a bit easier because I can't sit for 2 hours and work on things. But a few minutes here and there are easily manageable.

Last edited Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:46 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Farelli!

VERY controlled and VERY precise!!! EXCELLENT WORK, Brother!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:21 pm

Looking good have you done these before and running over them again, or is this the first time doing them.
It takes time for those muscles and neurons in the brain to connect. I feel its good idea to try these in different positions on the neck also, seems to work those different little tendons. A day rest off from these can also work wonders, gives the hand time to reset. (not too much rest though).

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:09 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

I've done them casually in the past. This is the first time I'm dedicating most of my energy toward them.

Funnily, at lunchtime I went back to them and did some persistent practice until I got fatigued. Then I decided to do some chromatic scales and then G major scale practice, Scaletone 1 Form 2. It was a nice change from the spiders.

Then I put it down for about 4 hours and came back to it to do it again.

I'll do some moving around the neck on the spiders. That's a good idea.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:36 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: Farelli wrote in post #8
I'll do some moving around the neck on the spiders. That's a good idea.
You know, deltadiscos bought up a great point, and I'm glad to see you caught on to what he was saying. I was actually going to mention this, but I figured you were just showing your exercises in one position for the sake of saving video time.

Anyway, I'll do these from Low E to High E, then back, and then move up a fret...I'll usually go to the 12th fret, and then I reverse everything.

Again, it's ALWAYS great to go back and drill these exercises, because no matter how good you are, or how many years you've been playing, the spiders and X patterns will ALWAYS separate the men from the boys! LOL!!!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK, FARELLI!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:14 am

Yea i find if i become fatigued in one position i can move to another and push it a little more,
Gonna try what Adam has mentioned going down and up and move up a fret.

I do a similar thing with jazz style spiders i start on the sixth (thick)
string to first and then back, start at the ninth fret all the way to the first fret and back, pretty much going through all the finger permutations
1234,1243,1324,1342,1423,1432, etc. all fingers must always be touching the strings. maybe overkill but i love this shit.

Please call me Darryn, Deltadiscos was what i signed up with as was running a disco at the time :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:11 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Here's a little update.

First, we have Attack of the 5.21:

Then Return of the 5.22:

Third we have The 5.23 Strikes Back (this is after 7 days of focusing on 5.23, so I'm pleased with my progress):

Finally, I did some chromatic exercises, which I do from time to time:

Last edited Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:12 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:08 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Your work looks good! These are great exercises.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 90 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: