RE: My scalpal picking is not going very well

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:47 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

I don't think people generally think you're trying to be sarcastic, but, with all due respect, I think you have a tendency to appear as though you don't respect the opinion of others, and seem to think you're superior to the rest of us. For that matter, you don't seem willing to own up to mistakes or apologize when you're shown to be wrong. Of course, we all have our own foibles - none of us is perfect.

Sorry to be blunt, but you did ask.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I wish I posessed the ability to know what others think...Maybe those that presume to know what I think will be so good so as to teach me.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:08 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Nick, I guess you're addressing me here?

I replied because I was trying to do you a favour. My apologies: it could have been expressed more diplomatically.

Let's go back a couple of steps. I asked if you were being sarcastic about a particular point. You said 'no", and wanted to know why people might think you were sarcastic in your posts. I said I didn't think people generally thought that. More correctly, I should have said that *I* didn't generally think that - this has been the only instance where I thought perhaps you were being sarcastic. I shouldn't have tried to describe the perception of others, though nothing in the posts I've read suggests that others do in fact think you're being sarcastic.

I don't presume to know what you think. What I said was "I think you have a tendency to appear...", with the emphasis on "appear" - what one might infer from the way you write.

To me you appear to be a very bright young man with a lot of passion and drive, and I really respect that. However, your reply above just reinforces my earlier point: you asked for feedback on why people might take your postings the wrong way, and then get immediately defensive when someone bothers to respond. If I were in your place, I'd be looking back at what I'd said and the way I'd said it and wondering how I might have said it better. Maybe you're so obsessed with practicing, and perhaps a little over-tired, but haven't you noticed how you seem to wind up in arguments with a number of people on this forum? You and I have exchanged words at least once, and there's been other times where I've simply decided not to get involved.

So please, take this in the spirit it's intended. Be a bit more careful in your reading of what others say, and a bit more careful in what you yourself say. This is a great forum, and you're a good member who could contribute much.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:46 am
by Tom (deleted)

Quote: NicholasJacquet wrote in post #27
I wish I posessed the ability to know what others think...Maybe those that presume to know what I think will be so good so as to teach me.

Nobody knows what another person is thinking. That's why it's important to express yourself well in writing -- a skill that has importance far beyond Internet-forums. It can make people like you and help you go places, as well as the opposite. In the years of experience I've got on you, Nick, I can with certainty say it's always better to go out of your way to make people feel comfortable in your presence. That, too, is a skill that requires practice.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:12 pm

I dont have the disposable energy to argue...thats energy that needs to be spent practicing.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:10 pm

However I mustsay that you make an excellent point Mr. Tom

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17 am

I am like 99.999999% sure that this guy is the fastest scalpal picker in the world by a few thousand lightyears! Has anyone here heard of this guy?!

He just calls it circle pickign instead of calling it scalpal in his explanation thats about say 7 minutes into the second vid.

Last edited Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:19 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:36 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

pretty sure i shared one his youtube videos when i discovered him year or so ago. anchored scalpel. interesting isn't it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:18 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Just to clarify, circle picking and scalpel picking are almost the same thing. Only difference is that somewhere along the development of the technique, someone found the need to rotate the pick in a clockwise manner (like drawing tiny circles in the air) as they performed the scalpel motion.

It's essentially the same technique only with a very slight difference in motion. Pebber has covered this in his Youtube videos.

Do what you feel most comfortable with.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:09 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Circle picking was all the rage back in 1979 - Larry Coryell talked about it and a lot of fusion players all talked about it. Everyone was all into it until this interviewer asked John McLaughlin how he was using circle picking and McLaughlin told he he didnt know anything about it and he just tried to play the ideas in his head. That deflated the world of circle picking enthusiasts big time!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:17 am

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebbbbbeeeezzzz....holy cow scalpal quintuplets @ 230 BPM!?!?!?!?!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:01 am

Oh by the way...I have been working on mon Scapal picking! Currently up to 16ths @ 153 BPM on very basic patterns...Ones involving much Chromaticism...which incidently is starting to sound way cooler to me now than anything from Diatonic Scales! Thats it!!! We need a chromatic scale tech thread...yes we do!!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
126 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly