New Student- Module 1 Practical – Part 1

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:55 pm
by timgcollins • 3 Posts

Could someone please help me with a link to the A minor Pentatonic scale?

I'm 8 minutes into the first video and I'm lost already unfortunately. (Module 1 Practical - Part 1, at 8 minutes.)

Or did I start in the wrong place and the theory section teaches me the scales?

Also I'm trying to download the theory videos and modules and "Music Theory for Guitar Vol 1D" and also "1E" play "1A" again I believe in error.

Thanks so much for helping out a beginner!!!!

Scroll up

RE: New Student- Module 1 Practical – Part 1

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:17 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

From Pebber's webpage:

Click Lesson PDF/Mp3 files
Click Guitar Student PDF Files

Scroll down. About halfway it says "Pentatonic and Blues Scales."

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:57 pm
by timgcollins • 3 Posts

Is the attached file the A minor Pentatonic, if the first row played is the 5th fret?

I'm also assuming an A minor pentatonic uses CGDAE from the circle of 5ths. Therefore all the notes played in the scale are a subset of that.

(On the PDFs it doesn't actually say "A minor", so I just want to be sure.)

Thanks again, I'm new to scales but I think I'm starting to get it!!

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
A Minor pentatonic.pdf A Minor pentatonic.pdf

Last edited Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:01 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:27 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:50 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I suspect this is BB kings favorite scale so check out some BB vids if you havent had the pleasure already of seeing him play...on a tangential BB note...someday should he ever switch to playing leftfy ....so that he can do sarod picking with his world renound vibrato muscles....should he swith over to playing exclusively A harmonic minor then would be basically bee a little black yngwie...now that would be awesome...but yea man BB has been playing his A pentatonic for like the past few decades and he can really seem to milk alot from that little 5 note scale.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:29 am
by BlackStarVII • 10 Posts

There are some great videos on this that Pebber has made available for free, it could help you listening to some classic rock and blues to get an ear for the scale.

BB King can milk that scale because his phrasing and vibrato is so spectacular while Yngwie is one of my favourites I don't think that BB King would want to play like Yngwie with all due respect to Yngwie.

You harp on about nonsense sometimes.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:44 pm
by Funk Monk • 9 Posts

Your starting at the right video. Pay close attention with your eyes and ears, he starts on the fifth fret of the Low E. It's a very simple scale. If you got past 3:40 you should have no problem with learning A minor Pentatonic.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:36 am
by gas17565 • 11 Posts

I had the same problem with the theory videos, after I cleaned out my browser's cache, I was able to get them all...
I too am a newb and this looks like a good place to post my current progress on Module 1 #1. It's pretty ragged, but I've been lurking for awhile, and wanted to get something up to get some feedback. I've been able to get to about minute 22 where Pebber goes to 184, and I lose it there...144 is as fast as I've been able to get it. I'm new at all of this stuff, and amazed and overwhelmed by the level of commitment evryone has; it's really encouraging. Still working on posting....

Last edited Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:57 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:56 pm
by gas17565 • 11 Posts

Current progress on Mod.1 #1 (with thanks to ICanOnlyCarry50ChickensAtATime)

Last edited Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:58 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:23 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: gas17565 wrote in post #9
Current progress on Mod.1 #1 (with thanks to ICanOnlyCarry50ChickensAtATime)

Glad you posted. This looks like solid work. If you can keep this up every day, you're headed in the right direction.

More lurkers need to post.

Good job. Keep it up.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:13 am
by gas17565 • 11 Posts

Thanks, Ursin, and thanks too to Pebber for your encouragement on this; I know I suck, especially on speed, and I read a post you made in another thread about building speed by using the metronome to the point where you can handle it, then increasing speed in 5 bpm bumps until you get to the desired speed through crashing, and that's what I'm doing. I have been challenged always in building a practice regiment I can stick to day in and out. I am beginning and I'm not going to fail!! at least not completely.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:03 am
by Koerperkarle • 13 Posts

Hey,
new subscriber here too.
I've started playing about 4 years ago but the time I actually played probably adds up to one year .
I've still been lurking these forums sometimes and when Scottulus made his challenge I thought "well let's try this" and the small progress I made motivated me to practice a few hours daily for the last 2 months and last week I signed up for the online lessons, but for 2-3 days I have had a noticeable-but-not-very-painful "dragging pain" (is that the right word?) on the outside of my left elbow (after playing for about 20min).
It happened pretty much instantly after I started doing trills on acoustic. I'm guessing not using my left hand and only doing right hand picking exercises is best for now?
I'll post a progress video with module 1 practical when it's better though
:)

Last edited Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:09 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:58 am
by ashan • 190 Posts

if the pain lasts through out the day i would suggest resting that hand till it heals completely and taking it slow. your probably straining it too much. a video would help ursin and co analyze what your doing wrong. if there's anything.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks for the reply,
I've rested it for a week now (the pain only occured when playing for 20min, thankfully not all the time) and so far I haven't noticed any pain or anything
I'm uploading a video of a bit of scalpel and pentatonic bits right now

ps: in the video it looks like my right arm is very tense when playing scalpel faster but for what it's worth I dont think it is because it feels pretty loose but the forearm shakes a little back and forth so it looks like I have a death grip on the pick

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:36 pm

here it is, the sound is terrible so I'll try to make a better one soon

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:57 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Says video is private you need to change it to unlisted in you tube so we can view it here! :)

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:33 am

Thanks for pointing it out,
I'll upload another one later, with better audio

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:52 pm

I think I got the sound a little better this time + tried to do a bit of "pebber angle" at the start
Am I on the right track here?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 13, 2014 1:46 am
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

Quote: Koerperkarle wrote in post #18

I think I got the sound a little better this time + tried to do a bit of "pebber angle" at the start
Am I on the right track here?

Koerperkarle, very nice job on this video. Both your left hand and right hand form look good. Excellent work. Just keep practicing that way and gradually build up your speed.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:27 am

thanks for taking a look guitar player, I haven't seen that there was a reply :)

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
228 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly