PICKING Forum

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 2:25 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

So Alex Fajardo bought The Wizard of Shred DVD's on picking and here's what he said about it. Any comments?

ALEX: I actually bought the thing xDD

His alternate picking program is 50% what to do and 50% keeping track of your progress to stay motivated.
It's not too bad and the chick thing... I don't even know where to start with that...

I got the thing (the 40 bucks version) cause one of my teachers here kept asking me to work on my alternate picking, as I play direct/economy picking mostly.

The six challenges are actually:

Picking on a single string
Changing strings with outside picking
Changing strings with inside picking
Change and back outside picking (only one note and back)
Change and back inside pikcing (only one note and back)
Playing through all six strings

(I guess one should add by himself string skipping at some point, and/or hybrid picking...)

So nothing new under the sun there, but then the guy suggests practicing each one for a month or more, so that you'd be doing 500.000 to a million reps of the same motion (with like an hour a day of the same thing, while watching TV or something)... thus controlling it at an extremely high level

What I'm trying to do with this information is to combine with all the picking stuff that I know from Pebber, Tom Hess and Ney Mello into my own thing, having John Mclaughlin as a model of where I'm headed.

Scroll up

RE: The Wizard of Shred

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 2:27 am

Heres the guy's website. I dont quite know what to make of all the chicks...?

http://www.thewizardofshred.com

Scroll up

RE: PICKING Forum

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 2:31 am
by be&say • 12 Posts

(Redneck accent) Shit! My first post ain't even mine! hehehe

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 8:51 am
by SwampRiverMan • 27 Posts

The heck with this shredding shit. Help me get that Chickin Pickin stuff down.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 8:52 am
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

I think any knowledgeable guitarist should see that this stuff ain't new concepts or anything..

Pebber's already given us BILLIONS of things to work on and he's explained the concepts but more importantly what it takes to get good: PRACTICE!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 10:02 am
by uderoche (deleted)

The chicks in the videos are hot.

Instead of all this crap, the dude probably needs to do some trill and ladder exercises. His left hand looked pretty weak.

Last edited Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 am | Scroll up

Wizard of Chicks

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 11:50 am

He must be too busy with all those Chicks. I mean - it probably DOES take great stamina dont you think?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 11:51 am

Sorry your comment was so good I had to quote you on it to start this one off!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 11:59 am
by loopster • 2 Posts

From looking at the little vid on the website a couple things catch my eye right away.
1. Crappy echo type guitar sound that tries to give the impression he is playing faster than he/she really is. (Clean it up!)
2. He/She doesn't keep her finger behind the neck. Every time the fingers are squeezed the neck moves sideways.
(Remember: Always put your thumb behind the neck!)
3. He/She need to spend a lot of time re-learning left hand fingering techniques. Making your fingers fly around is a big waste of energy.
4. The picking technique used is with the palm firmly planted against the guitar body and moving the whole hand to move the guitar pick.
This appears to be a big waste of energy compared to just moving your fingers via scalpel picking. This technique also keeps you from moving your hand to different positions on the string or neck. Very tight, rigid and limiting. Loose and relaxed is much better.

Overall, it looks like many other sites that really only want your bucks. There doesn't seem to be any formal training by the instructor, he just works really hard at a poorly executed technique and has mastered it pretty well. Following in these footsteps will probably lead you into
the same rut he is in and will limit your ability to play different things.
But, if you think he is the greatest shredder of all times and you want to shred exactly like him/her, have fun. Otherwise, open your eyes and see what PB teaches you for free.

Scroll up

RE: Wizard of Shred

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 6:20 pm

But he was SLAMMING me trying to get me to buy his program!
What am I going to do with it? Maybe he's got some value in there
that I may not know about - even though many guys have redundant
information, if you can glean one piece of information that you never
thought about before from it then you succeeded. You can learn things
from anyone.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 6:53 pm

HEY ALEX HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 9:19 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Besides "The Wizard Of Shred" Alex also mentioned Tom Hess and Ney Mello. Anybody ever buy their videos?

Ney seems like a nice enough guy.

Tom Hess, I have watched him on youtube, but he seems kind of .... I don't know. His sweeping skills are outrageous. He seems kind of unapproachable I guess would be the word.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 9:45 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Bingo! Unapproachable is the word for him, he's sooo high on himself, I don't care how good he plays, if he's a teacher he better have people skills.

Tom Hess doesn't have videos to just buy(at least I haven't seen them), you have to go through this long application and get private lessons from him and choose 1x a week or 1x every 2 weeks or 1x a month, so if you pick 1x a week he'll send you 1 video a week. I haven't tried them, too pricey for me...

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. - Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 10:51 pm
by be&say • 12 Posts

Thanks Pebber, appreciate it. 29, I always thought I'd be rich and famous by now

The rest of you I'll answer in the afternoon when I get back from work but please get over looks for a minute and focus on what can I (aka YOU) learn from this guy and question number 2 is the price worth it.

Tom is waaaaaaaay more down to earth than it may seem at first, he's just develloped this very pro look and that's how he rolls, he's a terrific teacher though (studied with george bellas for ex).

[URL]beandsay.com[/URL]
besay@beandsay.com
beandsayguitar@gmail.com
http://files.homepagemodules.de/b521251/...-3a145b7c-5.jpg

Scroll up

RE:SAROD Picking

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 pm

I learned SAROD picking from John Mclaughlin - Although SAROD has been around fro 4,000 years, he is the original source for the Electric Guitar. Anyone who is interested in SAROD must study McLaughlin.

Scroll up

RE:SAROD Picking

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 12:08 am

Here's McLaughlin on Acoustic. Its funny to see how in many places the picking style looks like Brian's. WOW! SAROD rules!

Scroll up

RE: SAROD Picking

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 12:23 am

One of the Indian Masters of the SAROD. This is the real thing guys.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 4:25 am
by Adam (deleted)

When I saw these "6 SECRETS TO BECOMING A BETTER ALTERNATE PICKER," or whatever,,,,I almost hit the fucking ceiling! Why? Because I IMMEDIATELY recognized these as the EXACT SAME THING Pebber has on his Syllabus (Right Hand Technique)....FOR FREE!!!

Maybe I'll start selling my own "Secrets!"

Un-fucking-believable.

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS
-Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 6:51 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I have read in several places (most recently the guitar player magazine from a few months back with Neil Schon on the cover) that McLaughlin holds his pick backwards. Shawn Lane also did this. Instead of pointed down towards the floor, it's pointed up towards the ceiling.

PB, I always wondered how this affected McLaughlin's picking.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 7:11 am
by No name specified • ( Guest )

He doesn't hehehe.

Shawn did but not all the time, usually on the fastest bits, George Benson does this too, as well as Sheryl Bailey and a bunch of others.

Watch some of Lane's videos and then some of McLaughlin's on youtube and notice the difference, McLaughlin is 100% standard grip.

Also, watch videos with no sound when you really want to focus on the motions they're using, works for me

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 7:13 am
by be&say • 12 Posts
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 8:36 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Thanks be&say

McLaughlin is my all time favorite. Sometimes it looks like he is using standard grip. Sometimes it doesn't. In that issue of Guitar Player, Neil Schon talks about hanging out with McLaughlin and how they discussed holding the pick backwards.

Maybe McLaughlin switches up?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 9:31 am

No no No NO NOOO NO! McLaughlin does NOT hold the pick backwards! If you only knew that I spent 20 years hard core time studying and studying McLaughlin and everything about his technique. He is the main reason I developed my ideas on technique. When I finally got to meet him in person and eventually many more times hang out with him in person and DISCUSS picking technique - this is where HE TOLD ME about the SAROD technique - to which HE PERSONALLY SHOWED ME HOW TO DO.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 9:43 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Thanks for clearing that up for me PB. I'm not lying about that Guitar Player article! It's in there. There is actually a whole side column devoted to Neil Schon's picking technique and he talks about McLaughlin and the whole holding the pick backwards thing.

I believe you 100%. Just saying that I got REALLY confused when I read that article.

I shouldn't believe what I read!

However, I do find it funny that Neil Schon would say that and name drop McLaughlin.

Scroll up

RE: McLaughlin

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 9:51 am

I'd like to see that article because Mac probably discussed a wide variety of picking styles in their conversation and Schon probably mis interpereted what he said. Watch the videos for yourself they are only a small little glimpse of what I experienced with him personally.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
254 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia