Guitar Picks ??

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:06 am
by Kyzik • 8 Posts

Hey guys, i brought some gibson XH (xtra heay i presume) because i heard most speed guitarist and such use them. Then i have a thin one, which also feels good but i have been practicing with other peavey 60mm ones, so muscle memory will have gotten use to them. The sound is definitely quieter (without amp) playing electric guitars strings with the XT than the thin.

I don't think because the pick bends it would really alter the speed to much.. unless you were playing like 300bpm + ?

Scroll up

RE: Guitar Picks ??

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:04 am
by Koerperkarle • 13 Posts

I haven't heard of those but Dava picks seem to be popular here (I know at least one very high speed guitarist who uses them :) ), personally I use the ones with the red grip, I love their grippyness (seems easier to relax the picking hand) and the attack feel

before them I used Dunlop Jazz somethings but now they're much too thick for me

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:48 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Im thinking to order some Dava picks when im back in the netherlands. I have really hard time getting used to picks i never played with any pick and at the moment im travelling for work. Pebber let me start with the right hand exercises and fortunately i had a 0.70 Martin pick so im using this for not. The problem is that the pick slides away. And when i use more pressure while holding the pick it doesnt feel comfortable anymore. Those Dava picks seem to have nice "anti slip" sides as i saw and the videos froms Pebber. I hope this will work out better for me but i do love it much more to use my fingers :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:47 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

right now im digging dava yellow and red jazz picks.. and planet waves black ice.. i love the feel of .80mm black ice for some reason.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:25 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Dava jazz yellow orange/(fav at the moment) Red
Other guitarist i know struggle say there to small. but they also suck at picking and use what i call strumming picks.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:36 pm
by wetduck (deleted)

Been using dunlop's tortex for years now !! 96mm and 1.4mm mostly because there at every guitar store i've ever been too. lol i use to use a lot of medium picks and light picks when i was younger, and was more of a camp fire guitar player . But he moment i got a REAL GUITAR teacher. The first thing he did was get rid of those picks, and explain why a hard pick was needed !!! to develop good picking and speed. I changed that day(first lesson) and never looked back :) i Grabbed a pack of purple green and blue the 3 heaviest picks on the wall at the store. dunlop tortex(purple1.14mm) my fav lol and the blue 1.14 has a gator on it lol love em.... nothing fancy or gimmicky !!! simple. And have never let me down anyways. For some reason Any clear plastic pick i play with .... i explode in 5 mins.

p.s a funny side note. i like scratching the date on them lately lol lol its fun to see how long it takes to wear it out... they use to last a couple of months... but since i joined the board officially in the new members post !!!
and getting a beat down(rightly so) !!!!!! for mis spelling the MASTERS name. and making amends for it !!!! Thank GOD :) I've worn out my first pick in under a month lol lol anyway in record time !!! Repentance!!!!!!!!!! pulling out the new 1 now. Cant wait to wear this 1 out.....

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:43 am
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

Jazz 3 XL series picks. Work nicely and have the advantage of being a quite a lot bigger than regular Jazz 3:s. I settled on these after trying all kinds of picks not just for playability but also for the sound factor. Jazz 3 XL seem to have an ok sound in many instances. Of course you could change picks according to what you need to hear as sound design tool, but who wants that. Too much trouble. (though I still do that and recommend if you record your playing and music.)

For speed I think there might be all kinds of alternatives, but it comes down to how you pick and what gauge strings you use etc not only the pick. Once you find something that works it is a tour of seeing also what weak spots it might have. What I've found in Jazz 3 XL to trouble me is when playing fast alternate picking in high positions. The edge of the pick is not that smooth and the pressure you normally use to attack the string has to be altered. This can affect the other hand too and you might end up trying to compensate for the softer touch by attacking with your fretting hand. I seem to notice this in many bands when they show someone playing fast lead lines. Sometimes the passages are hammered with enough force to choke the guitar unconscious. (Do they call it death metal for this reason?) So I've tried to condition my hands to understand that they both have to behave equally or there wont pie for anyone! Of course they don't listen! Poor me.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:55 am
by Scottulus • 222 Posts
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 61 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
61 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 395) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly