Ist video thread

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 pm
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

Here it is for starters. Don't be shy and be honest. I only have one feeling and you can't hurt it.

Scroll up

RE: Ist video thread

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:46 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

you need to make the video public buddy

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:04 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Not necessarily public, but at least unlisted. Not private, though.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:40 pm
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

Will do

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:05 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

ok so your timing sucks. so slow it right down get the metronome down to 40-50 bpm. work one string. one note per beat until your hitting right on it make that metronome disappear. then start working 2 3 4 notes per beat no need to change the metronome speed. work it for a long while. same with pentatonic practice one note per beat really slow this is where you build accurate timing it can seem boring , but switch off that part of your brain that wants to move quick and work it. dont be tempted to speed up until you can nail it.

But hey this is just my opinion Pebber or Ursin may be able to give you better advice. they are the guru's here
ok keep at it buddy
oh and curve that pinky...

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:29 am
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

Looks like I need to come up with a happy medium for the metronome volume and my guitar.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:05 am
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

This one is at 60 bpm and I turned down the metronome to 1 beat per measure instead of 4. Let me know if this is better.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:34 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey Dehowe85,

This is a bit better keep practicing this for several weeks. Do as Delta advised you just only one note per beat, the 2nd part of your video you do 2 notes per beat. Yes it may seem a bit boring but it will help you for sure.

Your pinky seems to be more curved thats good try to place your thumb on the centre of the neck. Here's a link from the download area there's a pdf which shows bad techniques maybe this will help you.

Bad Technique pdf

This was just my point of view I'm not a Guru like Pebber and Ursin. Keep it up and try to do the exercises every day you'll see soon improvements.

I hope this helps you a bit

Grtz Ray

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:48 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Dehowe

A picture says more than a 1000 words so here are 2 pictures one how it is wrong and 2nd how it is much better.

WRONG Thumb placement:
Bad Thumb.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

BETTER Thumb placement:
Better thumb.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Maybe these pictures will help you more. I noticed when playing with your thumb more high on the neck the thumb gets tired very fast and your other 4 fingers have more difficulty reaching string 5 and 6.

The classical form exercise will help a lot with thumb placement.

Good luck

Ray

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:29 am
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

I do notice that my thumb tries to migrate up the neck. I have to constantly remind myself to move it down.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:43 am
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

Good advice Ray. I just noticed that by playing with my thumb in the middle of the neck makes it easier to keep my pinky curved when playing the low E string and i don't mute the other strings as bad as I used to.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:35 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Dehowe85

Yes your right about that it is a much better possition for the fingers but it takes some time to get used to it IMO. Search for the classical position exercise to this exercise as a warm up (20 min each day) before you start playing it will help a lot. I did the same and my position improved a lot (but is not 100% right always).

Good luck!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:44 am
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

Quote: Ray1981 wrote in post #8
Hey Dehowe85,

This is a bit better keep practicing this for several weeks. Do as Delta advised you just only one note per beat, the 2nd part of your video you do 2 notes per beat. Yes it may seem a bit boring but it will help you for sure.

Your pinky seems to be more curved thats good try to place your thumb on the centre of the neck. Here's a link from the download area there's a pdf which shows bad techniques maybe this will help you.

Bad Technique pdf

This was just my point of view I'm not a Guru like Pebber and Ursin. Keep it up and try to do the exercises every day you'll see soon improvements.

I hope this helps you a bit

Grtz Ray

I've actually found it an interesting challenge to try to make the metronome disappear. Makes it less boring

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:48 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

All this advice from all you guys is excellent! Its good to make videos and post them up here as everyone can comment. You are doing these exercises pretty well you are on the right track. Start slow and just put more days in than anything else. Picking looks pretty good although a little stiff-arm if you are trying for scalpel picking. The loosening of the thumb is the key to that - it must be very flexible not locked. So many hundreds of guys have a diffficult time lossening up the thumb. Keep at it!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:07 pm
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

Heres another for review. This one I did 2 beats per note at 60 bpm. The first half is a little sketchy but I thing I'm really close on the 2nd half. At least my critic Harley wasn't complaining. I'll be honest, I've never played with a metronome until posting these videos.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:46 pm
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

You are improving......you just have to keep practicing is all. When you start off learning it is very important to concentrate.

"We hope to do well" - Francesco Cappiello

"Teaching guitar......it's better than digging ditches for a living" - Ursin DeRoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:20 pm
by dehowe85 • 27 Posts

Hey now. I run a shovel

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 16, 2015 2:54 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Hey dhowe85, you're doing well here. In that last video the metronome vanishes most of the time. That's great!

Also, I love that you are practicing in the hallway next to the stair railing. It's amazing how hard it is to find a practice space in a house with other people!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
496 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia