How to learn scales in every key effectively

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:06 pm
by ICanOnlyCarry50ChickensAtATime • 14 Posts

Hi,
I wonder what you think is the most effective way to learn playing a scale in all keys? I usually play around the circle of 4th/5th and either play every scale in a certain position, according to the 14 position system or try to play all scales in a small area on the fretboard, e.g. from the 5th to the 8th fret.

What do you think is an effictive way to practice playing in all keys?

In addition: Nice jam tracks belonging to the circle of 4th/5th are highly appreciated!

Scroll up

RE: How to learn scales in every key effectively

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:30 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Hmmm......

Put down 38 chickens...then teach the remaining 12 a different key each?

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:22 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

For every month of the year...play in a different key.....

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:20 am
by hudsontoronto • 79 Posts

It looks like you know what you are talking about, my view is that it takes a really long time, decades yo learn this scales in all keysand the answer to you question is simple, just practice every day for years and it will become second nature for you, NOW what ever you can do to
Make it more interesting is a bonus, like backing tracks, jamming in a band, turn off the Internet, turn off the tv, have no distractions, set a goal and keep on it until you get there.
There is really no other way.
So make your jorney fun for in that path we all shall walk.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:32 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Right here on my website - again all FREE for anyone to download:

http://www.pbguitarstudio.com/pdf_files/...m_Positions.pdf

Circle of 5ths practice method

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:31 am
by Gitarmats • 1 Post

I can't speak for anyone else, but the way I practice scales goes something like this..

When I learned my first scale I learned the A minor scale.. I learned the first position the usual way of repeating the pattern over and over... I just kept noodling with it until eventually I knew it all over the neck. So the A Minor scale has kind of become my 'foundation' scale.. I was jamming A Minor for months, so I got it down to that point where you can just point out random notes on the fretboard and tell if they are in the scale or not.

For example, when learning A Harmonic minor I can view it as the A Minor with a little adjustment, same with Melodic Minor.
I got A Melodic minor down all over the neck in about 30 minutes since I already knew the A Natural minor so well. Just a little adjustment and then memorizing where the adjustments are and then I got it! But you were aksing about keys..

So once I know the pattern all over the neck in one key, I'll just make a backing track for let's say G minor... At first I approach it as "A Minor a whole step down" but after a while it becomes it's own scale and then I work towards getting it down as good as my foundation A minor scale where I can just look at the guitar and see all the notes 'light up' on the neck... Basicly just jamming with the scale and gaining more and more control as you do it. You'll also get the other benefits of actually playing along with something... Phrasing, dynamics, timing and the overall feeling of having fun by just 'jamming out'

I'm not claiming to be able to play in all keys effortlessly, but that's how I'm training myself to do it it and it seems to be working fine for me so far.

I hope my message here was of some help or interest.. If you don't have the equipment to make backing tracks I could help you out.. I make new backing tracks for myself regularly and sending them via e-mail wouldn't be an issue

By the way, I just joined the forum, looking forward to discussing scales, chords, guitars, music and all that with the people here!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:54 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Circle of 5ths practice method is on the site and links are also in this thread.

-Ursin

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
290 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly