Question about practice.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:04 am
by pritesh • 3 Posts

Hi,
I used to play guitar 20 years ago. Self taught and needless to say, not good technique. Recently, I got interested in guitar playing again. Upon checking the awesome videos posted by Pebber Brown, I realized that the pain in my shoulder and left hand was because of wrong technique.

I've recently joined guitar classes where they teach how to read music while playing guitar. Problem is, due to family and job commitments, I just have about 30 minutes of time to practice.

Is there anyone here who is in a same situation like me? How do you practice? What do you practice?

Scroll up

RE: Question about practice.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:36 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

I literally feel your pain. I have a disc problem in my neck compounded with terrible posture from using computers all day every day, and this pain is exacerbated when I have poor posture trying to look at the neck while playing in a seated position. For me the best solution is to play while standing (I need to get a No.1 stretch strap; I play an Epiphone Les Paul and it weighs a ton!!) and to turn the guitar downward slightly so I'm not tempted to look at it.

I also work two jobs typically 7 days per week and I commute 800 miles per week, and work on a volunteer project that takes a lot of my time. 30 minutes per day is enough time. If you do it every day of the year you'll get in 180 hours of practice. If you focus on what you want to develop that will be more productive practice than most players ever do in their lives.

Lately I've been focusing on right hand picking exercises (lately I've been doing fingerpicking exercises, both with and without a pick). My left hand moves pretty well but my right is not at all automatic and I get out of synch to easily. I also work on music theory and noodle around a bit. Sometimes I learn songs.

I don't go through all of the Pebber program every practice session because I have to pick and choose. He'd recommend doing each of the 7 modules at 5 minutes each. That's a great way to go, but I've found I need the most practice on right hand so I'm placing most of my emphasis there.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:46 am
by pritesh • 3 Posts

Hi Farelli,
Thank you for taking time to answer my question. Hope your disc problem gets cured soon and permanently. I've been through some of the PB videos but didn't get the point about 7 modules. Kindly let me know.
Thank you for the encouragement.
Edit: Found the modules on the PB site. Each module contains several exercises. Let me check the free videos link and see if Pebber Brown has suggested any patterns.

On a completely different note (no pun intended) I ordered Al Di Meola's book - A Guide to chords, scales and arpeggios a few days ago. I think I should've waited. :) My technique currently is not up to the mark.

Last edited Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:56 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:38 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

I got my No.1 strap a few weeks ago, and man it really makes a difference. That Les Paul feels something like 1/3 lighter, just as it says on the tin.

I'd recommend them to anybody. Worth the $20 USD to find out, anyway.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:51 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Yes stay in Module ONE until you develop an adequate level of skill (i.e. 3 - 6 mos) before attempting Mod 2.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
150 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 950) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly