RE: The Gear Thread: Guitars, Amps, Effects discussion

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:36 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Adam,

Here's a full concert of them from a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the band is not tegether anymore because this Travis Meeks is one weird motherfucker. Travis is playing on a Taylor (I use Taylors as well together with Elixirs 12's). I will look for some other examples later today but scrolling thru this show should give you a good idea.

Listen to the intro of the show please. This guy uses weird tunnings, crazy rithms, and scale that feels ancient to me. I wish I could figure out how he made that up. For me he is one of the best acoustic rock players.

Last edited Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:36 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:42 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

OK Ray,

Right off the bat, I hear the sound of a piezo pickup: I recently added a Yamaha APX500II to my guitar collection, and it sounds exactly like this when it's plugged in. Piezo pickups are very common these days, especially on acoustics

I am guessing that Travis is initially tuned to 1/2 Step Down Double-Dropped D (low-to-high: Db-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Db).

The sound is fairly straight-forward, but I would bet there is a hint of chorus and compression.

Now as far as your issues are concerned, I am thinking that it has to do with a combination of that particular Marshall you are using and the fact that your acoustic may not have a piezo built in. If I had to pick the most important element of Travis's sound, and the sound you are looking for, I would go with the piezo. Again, I recognized its unmistakable tonal qualities the instant Travis started playing.

Hope this helps!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:57 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

I think the only thing missing is some chorus and compression.

Cause your right about the tunning and I tune down as well (he uses a lot of alternate tunnings). As I wrote I own some Taylors and their Pickup system consist of a piezo element underneath the 20th fret and a pickup in the body. There's a switch which lets me decide which one to use. So I will check this out.

The Marschall I use is offcourse for electric guitars (I have a amp for acoustic guitars too) I used this one because i think he was doing the same thing to get a bit of a distorted sound.

Thanks Adam your reply did help!

A lack of afford is a lack of result!
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:43 am
by Stratocaster1 • 2 Posts

Hi guys, new to the Pebber lessons. Ive been trying to learb guitar by myself for a couple of months and now I decided to get serious about it.
Anyways, here is what I am working with. My setup is very modest.

** Fender Stratocaster Roadhouse Deluxe
** Vox Mini 5 Rythm

See you arround !

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:45 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Welcome Stratocaster1 you will enjoy it here for sure the forum has a lot of dedicated people.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:22 am
by adto • 12 Posts

Resurrecting this thread

I currently use a Korean LP copy called an Agile 3200
It is very well made imo, and as a lefty I had to look outside the box to get a decent selection.

For my amp I am running a 50w Boss Katana MK-II, which makes pretty much any sound I could ever want.

No pedals yet, but my first one will probably be a blues driver or a simple overdrive.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
24 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 344) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly