RE: The Gear Thread: Guitars, Amps, Effects discussion

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 pm
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

Quote: uderoche wrote in post #35
I agree. I would much prefer a Soldano over an ENGL or Blackstar but that's just personal preference. The SLO is one of my favorite amps of all time. The HR50 is a good one as well. I also like Diezel amps. My favorite is Lee Jackson's stuff from the late 80's/early 90's.

The Lee Jackson stuff is meant to incredible. It is the same thing with new rack gear as well.....most of it just doesn't sound good compared to the stuff from the 80's. For whatever reason, the delays in new rack gear sound too sharp to my ears, they aren't warm sounding like older stuff.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Quote: uderoche wrote in post #37
True. My favorite delay of all time is the Korg SDD 2000 rack delay. But they are ancient now and when they break good luck getting them repaired. I have owned a few. On one of them the transformer blew. The transformer is no longer produced. What do you do? My current favorite is the MXR Carbon Copy delay pedal. It sounds great right out of the box. Very close to the Korg. And, if it breaks, you can get it repaired.

The thing with old gear as well in England anyhow is finding it. it's no good buy gear off ebay from the United States....It is a lot of messing about buy step down tranformers etc(The power here is 240 volts @ 50 Hz). I was just looking on ebay uk.

I saw a listing for a 25 watt soldano Hot Rod 2 channel(a 25 watt not even a 50 watt). $3000.

Not cheap.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:22 am
by Koerperkarle • 13 Posts

Right now I'm using a weirdly green Ibanez RG 550 with a vox AD15

looking forward to getting this thing together though

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Quote: Koerperkarle wrote in post #39
Right now I'm using a weirdly green Ibanez RG 550 with a vox AD15

looking forward to getting this thing together though

That looks like a really nice neck. :-)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:28 pm
by Koerperkarle • 13 Posts

Thanks, it even has some unintentional "oh well maybe I shouldnt have used a brush or less colouring" aging on it.
Guess it's relic'd

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:23 pm

The relic'd thing is all the rage now......I just play the hell out of a guitar to relic it. My main guitar which is a Jackosn Dinky is so played in......it feels great. I have been fortunate enough to once play a 1965 Fender Strat a couple of years ago at a vintage guitar store in London....it was beautiful. For whatever I don't know.....vintage Fender Strats really appeal to me.

I personally find Les Paul's not nice to play.....I don't like the profile of the neck on them. Gibson SG's are guitars that I really though.

The Ibanez wizard II necks are really nice to play......the profile and shape of them is very comfortable.....They are very wide which I really favour for bending strings.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 10, 2014 10:54 am

IMG_20140510_174111.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

My Jackson Dinky DK2 Pro(Modded)

:-)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 14, 2014 6:35 am
by kobie 1 • 2 Posts

Whats up everyone. New to the Pebber lessons. Ive been teaching myself for the last 7 years. Pretty excited to see how many bad habits I have. Been lurking the forum for the last couple weeks, a lot of great information on here. Should have some videos up soon on how much I suck. Anyways heres what im working with. I bought a Chinese Gibson(Chibson) Les paul supreme as my first guitar. Wasnt making much money at the time and really love the les pauls. Turned out to be a pretty solid guitar. Swapped the pups out with some 57 classics. My father bought me the epiphone custom riviera this past christmas. Really love that guitar! Im using a fender cyber twin amp, the first version, and a boss gt-10 effects pedal.
1909135_618561237783_1485995408_o.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Wed May 14, 2014 6:44 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Quote: kobie 1 wrote in post #33
Whats up everyone. New to the Pebber lessons. Ive been teaching myself for the last 7 years. Pretty excited to see how many bad habits I have. Been lurking the forum for the last couple weeks, a lot of great information on here. Should have some videos up soon on how much I suck. Anyways heres what im working with. I bought a Chinese Gibson(Chibson) Les paul supreme as my first guitar. Wasnt making much money at the time and really love the les pauls. Turned out to be a pretty solid guitar. Swapped the pups out with some 57 classics. My father bought me the epiphone custom riviera this past christmas. Really love that guitar! Im using a fender cyber twin amp, the first version, and a boss gt-10 effects pedal.

Welcome to the forums. That is a good setup for playing guitar. When you are ready post up a video of your playing. What kind of guitar players and music do you like to listen to?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 14, 2014 4:49 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

Oh man...I've been listening to to much Ted Nugent man...totaly bad@$$...really inspired me to try and take my technique to the next level...thinking about tryin learn some of his more challenging compositions...then once i build up the necessary chops...I will hopefully be good enough to make a really pro quality Ted Nugent cover with which to impress all my new found friends I have found at this one super exclusive "guitar shredding" Facebook club...which I am sorta a member of.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Quote: NicholasJacquet wrote in post #35
Oh man...I've been listening to to much Ted Nugent man...totaly bad@$$...really inspired me to try and take my technique to the next level...thinking about tryin learn some of his more challenging compositions...then once i build up the necessary chops...I will hopefully be good enough to make a really pro quality Ted Nugent cover with which to impress all my new found friends I have found at this one super exclusive "guitar shredding" Facebook club...which I am sorta a member of.

Nick, Be careful in that "Guitar Shredding" group....please. Those guys in there are virtusos in the truest sense of the word.

Seriously, Ursin got me in that group and I have never laughed so much in my entire life. 99.9% of the players who post in there are USELESS.

I mean UTTERLY USELESS.

LULZ!!!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 14, 2014 5:31 pm
by kobie 1 • 2 Posts

[/quote]

Welcome to the forums. That is a good setup for playing guitar. When you are ready post up a video of your playing. What kind of guitar players and music do you like to listen to?
[/quote]

Mainly bluesy stuff Hendrix, SRV, Clapton, Jeff Beck. As far as the newer blues Ive been getting into Black Keys alot of Jack Whites stuff(simple but gritty), John Mayors stuff(not what they play on the radio) and have been really liking what Gary Clark junior has been doing lately. I really listen to everything though If it sounds good im into it. Im just starting to get into the more jazzy stuff just from watching pebbers videos on youtube. Im currently working 90hrs a week I work a full time job and own a store but im selling the store the end of June and pretty much am planning on making pebbers video's my second full time job.

Its a sharp not a hashtag
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Quote: kobie 1 wrote in post #37
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mainly bluesy stuff Hendrix, SRV, Clapton, Jeff Beck. As far as the newer blues Ive been getting into Black Keys alot of Jack Whites stuff(simple but gritty), John Mayors stuff(not what they play on the radio) and have been really liking what Gary Clark junior has been doing lately. I really listen to everything though If it sounds good im into it. Im just starting to get into the more jazzy stuff just from watching pebbers videos on youtube. Im currently working 90hrs a week I work a full time job and own a store but im selling the store the end of June and pretty much am planning on making pebbers video's my second full time job.

[/quote]

Mainly bluesy stuff Hendrix, SRV, Clapton, Jeff Beck. As far as the newer blues Ive been getting into Black Keys alot of Jack Whites stuff(simple but gritty), John Mayors stuff(not what they play on the radio) and have been really liking what Gary Clark junior has been doing lately. I really listen to everything though If it sounds good im into it. Im just starting to get into the more jazzy stuff just from watching pebbers videos on youtube. Im currently working 90hrs a week I work a full time job and own a store but im selling the store the end of June and pretty much am planning on making pebbers video's my second full time job.[/quote]

Some really good players you mentioned there, Kobie. No end of people really knock John Mayer but I think he is a great singer who has made some really good songs. But then you get to his Continuum album and that is truly one of the best albums I have heard in years.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 14, 2014 6:45 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I also have some Gold Pass executive level exclusive V.I.P. priveleges in this wicked cool Members only Club for Justin Bieber fans which makes me a pretty slick cat to know, and If you catch me on a day when I am maybe feeling a bit generous I might be able to hook you up....my VIP priveledges allow me unlimited access to all the free JB Merchandise and limited edition collectable belieber memorabilia that I want.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---

Last edited Wed May 14, 2014 6:49 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:32 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I dont even KNOW how much gear I actually have! Collecting since the 1960s!
Dozens of amps piled up 3 deep against the wall(s), guitars hanging everywhere,
guitars in the attic (dont even remember whats up there!) - guitars in my studio,
guitars at home, guitars at the music store, guitars at the University teaching studio,
guitars borrowed by my daughters somewhere at their houses (or their boyfriend's houses!)
Every time I think about buying a new guitar I am stopped by my thoughts of fixing up guitars I already have!
I see a nice American Tele at Styles I want to buy but I immediately start thinking about refretting and
putting in Seymour Duncan pickups in several Teles I already have!

Last edited Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:35 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:14 am

Quote: pebberbrown wrote in post #40
I dont even KNOW how much gear I actually have! Collecting since the 1960s!
Dozens of amps piled up 3 deep against the wall(s), guitars hanging everywhere,
guitars in the attic (dont even remember whats up there!) - guitars in my studio,
guitars at home, guitars at the music store, guitars at the University teaching studio,
guitars borrowed by my daughters somewhere at their houses (or their boyfriend's houses!)
Every time I think about buying a new guitar I am stopped by my thoughts of fixing up guitars I already have!
I see a nice American Tele at Styles I want to buy but I immediately start thinking about refretting and
putting in Seymour Duncan pickups in several Teles I already have!

Same thing....I don't have as many guitars you though. I have watched a lot of your videos and I know you really like the 335 Samick. Did you ever get into the Steinberger guitars?.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:11 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

I have two questions for the instructors out there, if you don't mind. My eldest son has been picking up my Carvins so it might be time to scout out a guitar of his own. He's almost 9 and is 4'6" but full scale guitars are still way too big for him.

1. Who can recommend a fixed bridge 3/4-scale electric that stays in tune for at least a couple hours of play?
2. I've taught him some picking and fretting exercises, but is there a book that you frequently use to try to keep your students engaged? Or do you just ask them what songs they like and then teach them some chords/melodies?

Instead of reading this you should be practicing. Slowly. With a metronome.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:15 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hi I'm an acoustic guitarist and i own a Taylor GS Mini this is a great sounding small guitar (3/4 length). It has a very good playability and cost me in europe 500 eu. If this is in you budget i realy recommend this guitar.

electric guitars i realy can't help you with. Good luck!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:07 am

Quote: dlraben wrote in post #42
I have two questions for the instructors out there, if you don't mind. My eldest son has been picking up my Carvins so it might be time to scout out a guitar of his own. He's almost 9 and is 4'6" but full scale guitars are still way too big for him.

1. Who can recommend a fixed bridge 3/4-scale electric that stays in tune for at least a couple hours of play?
2. I've taught him some picking and fretting exercises, but is there a book that you frequently use to try to keep your students engaged? Or do you just ask them what songs they like and then teach them some chords/melodies?

I use a Jackson Dinky as my main guitar it is a 7/8 body. That is what I reccomend.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:32 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

I looked into the Dinky. The website says the body is indeed 7/8ths that of a normal super strat, but the scale length is still a full 25.5".

Instead of reading this you should be practicing. Slowly. With a metronome.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:47 am
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

ESP LTD mini guitars are really small! Should work just fine too.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:10 pm
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

Quote: diegopaudyal wrote in post #17
I am not sure this is the right thread to post this question.

I have been using thin neck guitars like Ibanez JS series, Jackson etc. A few days ago I was to my buddy's house, he had this Epiphone Les Paul, a thick neck guitar. I played that guitar for a while and I found it so easy to play. Easy to keep my fingers curved, yes I could keep my pinky curved too. It was very easy to bend, vibrato, hammer on, and pull off.

I came home and tried my new jackson(thin neck) guitar and I couldn't do the same. I felt that there was too much space between my fretting hand thumb and the neck and my thumb was constantly trying to find the right position.

So my question is what kind of neck does your guitar have? Does a fat neck has advantages over thin and vice versa? I am really considering to replace my guitar, any advice??

Thank you

________

I know this is a late answer of a sort, but this is really interesting thing you mentioned. I've often found that on some guitars a thick neck makes the playing quite comfortable. Perhaps one of the reasons is that your thumb (if it is placed under your middle finger) seems to be in a relatively normal position. You don't have to pinch the neck. On your relaxed hand you see that your thumb and index finger are separated by some inches and if you place the neck of your guitar between that gap you see how much you have to pinch. I found that when I tried Paul Gilberts (ice/fireman) model it was very comfortable and he especially designed it to have a thicker neck. So go figure, perhaps the heavier neck would help some?!

On another note the neck generates a lot of the tone, so a heavier neck will affect the tone a lot. When you hear that good resonance between a comfortable neck and good body it just inspires you to play. The tone can be, be all end all!

For what its worth I like my 7 string for its bulky neck and if I were to strip the 7th string and play it just as a 6 string it would be a quite the monster. Hmm. perhaps it would be a good way to make people practice the right posture. Give them 7,8,9 or 10 string (according to the size of their hands) with only 6 strings on it and you can bet that the thumb would stay under the neck...but what about the blues playing, well then the 6 string would come out!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:10 am
by gas17565 • 11 Posts

Current amps are '65 reissue Twin and Super, pedals are TC Electronic Ditto X2, Hall of Fame reverb, Visual Sound Route 66 and H2O, Dunlop Cry Baby, Peterson Stompbox, Boss DS-2, Providence Delay, with a Voodoo lab 2+2 powering it all.
2011 Am. Standard Strat, 1998 Am. Standard Tele, 2002 Martin Golden Era 1934 D-18 (with a neck like a baseball bat),
Martin OM-18C, 1966 Gibson B-45 12 string. Lots of eq for a guy who seldom plays out....

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:05 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey guys,

Am i on the right place here to ask something about creating a particular sound. I'm totaly crazy about Days of the New i love rock and acoustic guitars. So after months of practicing Pebbers exercises i'm finaly able to learn some songs from them. The big question is how do i create this heavy sound with a acoustic guitar. I tried to plug in my Marschall MG30FX and this sounds ok but not close enough as i'd like to.

Does anybody have some advise for me?

Thanks in advance

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:58 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hey Ray!

Would you be able to provide a sample, or better yet a song, that contains the type of sound you are looking to emulate? Are you trying to "distort" the acoustic sound, or are you just trying to make it sound "big"? Yeah, if you could even just give me the name of a song, I can definitely help you out with this!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
542 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly