Problem with G string

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:43 pm
by Jfed • 8 Posts

When I play chords that have an open G the string starts ringing out like crazy after just a couple of seconds and it sounds bad. I've only recently noticed this. I've been playing for about 8 months now and I'm an old guy so this is very new to me and I would really appreciate any advice. I'm clueless if it's me or my guitar. Thank you.

Scroll up

RE: Problem with G string

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:33 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hi Jfed,

This could be a couple of things:

1) Your stings are getting old.
2) The neck of your guitar need to be adjusted

The first one you could easily solve and check by yourself, put some new strings on your guitar. The second one, almost every guitar (except classical ones) have a thrust rod by thightening or loosen this you can adjust the angle of the neck. But you have to be very carefull with this to not distroy your guitar. The videos on youtube on how to do this. But as you mentioned your new to guitar I would recommend to go to your local guitar dealer they do this for free and know how to do this.

If your guitar is new this is normal to do after several months.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:33 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hi Jfed,

This could be a couple of things:

1) Your stings are getting old.
2) The neck of your guitar need to be adjusted

The first one you could easily solve and check by yourself, put some new strings on your guitar. The second one, almost every guitar (except classical ones) have a thrust rod by thightening or loosen this you can adjust the angle of the neck. But you have to be very carefull with this to not distroy your guitar. The videos on youtube on how to do this. But as you mentioned your new to guitar I would recommend to go to your local guitar dealer they do this for free and know how to do this.

If your guitar is new this is normal to do after several months.

Good luck let us know if you were able to solve it.

p.s. Sorry for the unwanted double post

GRTZ Ray

Last edited Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:34 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:01 pm
by Jfed • 8 Posts

Thank you very much for your response. I changed the strings and ended up relaxing the truss rod an 8th of a turn or so and all is well now. I've watched countless videos on changing strings and truss rod adjustment so I felt comfortable doing it. Thank you very much again for the response.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:12 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Great!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:12 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Great!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:49 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

I find three occasions when my truss rod must be adjusted:

1. When I change strings (always; I change strings, set intonation, tune, and then adjust the truss rod, and repeat)
2. The middle of spring
3. The middle of autumn

I live in New England, so the temperature and humidity swings between winter and summer are substantial. The neck of my guitar changes quite a bit under these swings.

If it's been a while since I changed the strings, I'll do that before the truss rod adjustment. Otherwise I'll just break a string.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:30 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello Everyone!

Ray, that was some spot-on advice! I am really glad Jfed solved the issue. Farelli's post is also fantastic: I live in Chicago, and follow that same "schedule" for checking the intonation and, if needed, adjusting the truss rod.

Aside from this, the best rule-of-thumb based on my personal and professional experience is that, unless you house your guitars/basses in a controlled environment (same temperature, same humidity), then your best bet is to keep the instrument inside the case. Hands down, it's the best way to preserve strings (in addition to wiping them down after playing) and the best way to combat humidity, which can wreak havoc on your neck.

Great thread, guys!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:34 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

In Southern California it gets into the 100's in the summer and fall so lots of people have A/C and Evap coolers. Those evap coolers DESTROY guitars!!!!!!!!!!! So many of my local students have found this out the hard way - left their guitars out in the garage (where they jam) and DAD flips on the Swamp cooler out there to work on his car........
The next day the NECK is WARPED!!!!!! OOoh and thats a hard one to fix!!!! Confucious say be careful with humidity!!! Ancient chinese proverb say "you fucky fucky!"

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

When i travel with my acoustic guitars to humid countries i trow a bunch of those silica bags in the soundhole. You know those bags you find when you buy electric equipment e.g.

You can re-use them if you put them in a microwave for a couple of seconds. When get a colour there usually saturated

A lack of afford is a lack of result!
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:45 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Ray i gotta ask, your signature. is it a misspell, or do you you actually mean a lack of funds ?? made me giggle

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:39 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey Delta

Hahaha thats a misspell because my English is not so very good as you probably noticed. And actually I dont even see whats wrong about it. I'm sorry im a Dutchmen so my native language is not english and I speak a lot portugues aswell. So im many time confused regarding grammar.

Please help me out and I will resolve it, my apologizes

A lack of afford is a lack of result!
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:27 am
by Peter Weis • 1 Post

do you mean "lack of effort is lack of results"?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:20 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Yes Peter, thansk for the reply I found out a cule of days what I did wrong. My apologizes for the mistake.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 43 (yesterday 65) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: