RE: SAROD

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Technique only video. I shorten the movement up slightly as time progresses.
I believe I have a swan curve and rotating wrist

Don't listen to me
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:30 pm
by dave86uk • 34 Posts

Just showing where I'm at with sarod. I'm still working on it

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:13 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

Congrats Dave you, have yourself a bona fide Sarod flutter there (-: I can tell you have put in a lot of time to get to where you are with it. I am quite certain that Pebber, Ursin, and Frakh will also give you the thumbs up as far as your flutter cultivation is concerned...Man Sarod is such a gift, I cannot imagine having ever to play guitar again without it. Keep going at it and the fruits of all the wonderful guitaristic excesses that it makes possible will soon be yours to enjoy (-:

Also a heads up...I think that there may be some hybrid mexican jumping beans hiding around the corner in your near future...So,,,,be oin the lookout for moments where your picking arm starts bouncing around on its own without any need of your telling it to...As long as you make a wee bit of effort to put extra pow specifically in the up strokes...I bet that you will encounter the jumping bean pick hand enigma quite soon.

Last edited Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:19 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:31 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Dave86uk has it down - but student needs more work.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Very soon now , I will be editing and uploading something that I have always dreamed of being able to do...but before the time of the Sarod and the trill, it was nothing more than a pipe-dream for me...Buckethead cover that doesnt suck! haha I finally get how he does the zippidy 32 note scale stuffs without ussing any legados...Its all in the upstrokes...just like Frakh said in the Sarod thoughts vid....I have been working on "Jumpman" for a while now...and am getting pretty damn close to having fairly exacting cover of it...there is much excitement for me right now.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:30 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Oh hell yeah!
Nice flutter.....

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:19 pm
by student • 146 Posts

asdf

Don't listen to me

Last edited Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:50 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:27 am
by student • 146 Posts

Needs more work in technique ?

the vid is for technique(swan neck + rotating wrist) only

Don't listen to me

Last edited Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:29 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Student - yes exactly. WAY WAY Too stiff and klunky not loose AT ALL.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:13 am

Student here is my challenge, and yes your honor (-:...I TRIPLE DAWG DARE YOU to do the following: for the next 4 months...focus every ounce of your concious energy (so much so that even if your buddy were to shot-off a rocket launcher behind you as you practiced, that you wouldn't even notice it.)...During that Time, use that reservoir of awareness to zoom in on with a microsope onto as many facets of what you are doing as you are picking as possible...everything from 1.) angle of attack to the string, 2.) which direction are you holding the pick in, 3.) how tight/loose is optimal for your set of hands when holding the pick, 3.) at what point on your forearm should you rest on the guitar butt for your Sarod pivot point....I could really go on and on with these sorts of things for you to look at....Thats basically how I got my flutter to were it is right now...Then AFTER a few months of religeously and obsessively working with/looking at this shit, if you cannot get a good flutter, then I will put on a monkey suit and go sell peanuts for a living...Because I promise you that if you focus and push yourself, you can get this. Trust me, if I can learn to flutter, than pretty much anyone who is not a forearm amputee can to!!!

Last edited Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:18 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:06 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

LOL

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:16 pm
by student • 146 Posts

For those that have sarod down, does it feel relaxed/loose at speeds under 400bpm?? Who knows, maybe at that speed it would be a good idea to just use scalpel. I have been trying to use it at speeds of up to 400 bpm and it is not as relaxed/loose as just letting it rip
Anyway, here is my vid( I am just letting it rip, no idea what bpm). The vid is short, I want to make sure all looks good before I develop bad habits(I have ALOT of bad habits on guitar, mainly sucking at it....haha)

Last edited Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:24 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:00 pm

A lot better but still on shaky ground. Keep at it.
It takes a long time.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:36 am

400 B.P.M.?!?!?!?! man thats a tall goal...but you flutter is in a cocoon but inside there is some Sarod developing,,,

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:17 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Yeah Nicholas, I meant 1/16 notes @ 100 bpm. I can't imagine listening to 400 metronome clicks per minute, hell I think they have those, they are called white noise machines.

When I do 1/16 notes @100 bpm it does feel a bit more klunky, but if I let it fly it feels more relaxed. It is too early for me to be making these kind of statements( I should have a lot more time in before I call 1/16 notes @ 100bpm klunky) , I was just curious as to what others felt about their sarod at slower speeds( is it easy to sarod at slow speeds, etc ?)

Don't listen to me
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:59 pm

I don't know how to flutter at @ 16th just 100 B.P.M. trying to do so confuses the hebiejeeeebeez outa my picking hand

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:07 pm
by kenneth.gambler • 2 Posts

Based on how I practice, 16th notes at BPM would be more like a scalpel movement. Piece of cake.

Edit: If you can't do 16th notes @ 100 BPM, I would go back and learn to. We learn to walk before we learn to run for good reason lol.

Last edited Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:41 pm

thats very wise indeed

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:03 am
by student • 146 Posts

scalpel yes, 1/16 notes @ 100 bpm is fine, but sarod feels klunky(lose the flutter at that speed). My goal with sarod is to not just let it rip (that feels the most loose for me), but rather find the speed at which I should shift from scalpel to sarod.

But really my left hand is slacking compared to these speeds,,,,,I can play scales at 1/8 notes @ 138 bpm. So I think I should be spending more time trilling.

Don't listen to me
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:37 am

word...best advice for left hand...take all trill permutations from left hand basics 101 sheet and do them...do them untill each exceeds metronomic capacity...its exciteing when they inch closer and closer to 200 Bpm treshold...And you start to feel their power.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:37 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

If you're around eighth notes @ 138 bpm, I would recommend that you ALSO put in a lot of time with spiders & ladders. Finger independence and remaining really close to the strings is what's going to get you to eventually double that speed and I find that spiders & ladders target those two goals quite well.

For me, I seem to want to switch to Sarod for 16th notes in the 130-160 bpm range depending on the passage. The more complicated the fretting hand is, the less I am able to use Sarod and the more I have to revert to scalpal or wrist picking. [And sure, there are tones of complicated phrases that I just can't play that fast yet. Me vs. me, right?]

I also seem to use Sarod at much slower speeds when playing rhythmic/chord passages using multiple strings; also known as strumming.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:08 am
by kenneth.gambler • 2 Posts

Quote: student wrote in post #194
scalpel yes, 1/16 notes @ 100 bpm is fine, but sarod feels klunky(lose the flutter at that speed). My goal with sarod is to not just let it rip (that feels the most loose for me), but rather find the speed at which I should shift from scalpel to sarod.

But really my left hand is slacking compared to these speeds,,,,,I can play scales at 1/8 notes @ 138 bpm. So I think I should be spending more time trilling.

Sarod and Scalpel are two techniques that are woven into each other. Think about running and jogging. You can't run at a jogging speed, just doesn't make sense. Scalpel and Sarod are two techniques you should be able to fluidly move between depending on speed, at least that's how I see it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Yes Kenneth i have recently found I can scapel as quick as i can sarod? (almost) if worked at enough.
This certainly helps as if you feel your sarod coming undone, just slip in a little scapel and your back again.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:32 pm

When in sarod doubt, use you ear as your litmus test. There is something about how sarod is physicaly done that causes it to sound different than other forms of picking...think of how a playing card in bike spokes sounds...phwap phawp phwap...same thing as with pure legato technique...then the litmus is if it sounds fast,liquid,and even then you can know for FACT that you are moving in the right direction!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:15 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Excellent videos. I really want to get the sarod thing happening, but I'm certain that I will need to relax a bit and get Scalpel really down... Thanks so much for sharing, guys!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
125 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly